Non-qualification for Berks but highly qualified for Bucks.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
munch

Re: Non-qualification for Berks but highly qualified for Buc

Post by munch »

Not sure if my above question was missed?
I wondered whether we can appeal to St Bernard's with 104 even if we didn't include it in the CAF?
I did send the supplementary forms in to them but changed to another Slough consortium school at the end.

As St Bernards' require 111 I am under the impression that it's not a massive difference as some of the other schools?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I'm not 100% sure whether you can appeal if it's not on your CAF ...we appealed some years ago with 106, and were not successful, although I believe there were some with lower scores that did win their appeals, or so we were told.
la boume

Post by la boume »

I know someone who has put only selective schools on the CAF and did not get any. After 1 of March she had to appeal to get a place at the local comp. I think that may be different to your situation, as local comp did not require an entrance exam. Best of luck to you and your DS.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't know about St. B's, but technically you should only be able to appeal for a school if you've applied and been refused.

After 1st March, some authorities are more flexible about allowing changes to the CAF:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks everybody...I guess there's one way to find out.
I will contact Slough LA and St Bernard's and see what the answer is.

Mods-I thought I'd lodge the appeal despite the chances appearing slim. I'm just about to send a message to the appeals box.
catcool

Post by catcool »

You cannot appeal a school you did not list on your caf since you will not have been considered and hence refused a place . The right of appeal comes in when you have been refused a place at a school. You would need to at some point contact the La and complete a new Caf.
If you do this before the 1st March then you will be considered a late aplicant and your new preferences will only be considered after the 1st March with all the other late applicants .
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks for clarifying catcool but I didn't mean appealing for St B but for LGS or Herschel. If unsuccessful I wondered about changing my Slough consortium choices to St B but I have no idea if this is a non-starter!
munch

Post by munch »

For any appeal it appears CAT and VR scores are necessary. I asked DS's teacher for these but the only thing I got back was his predicted levels for end of year 6 ("5s for Maths, English and Science"). We are not in a grammar school area and getting anything out of the school is difficult. I am worried in cse the school is unable to give me the CAT/VR scores for any reason and wondered if they are a) allowed refuse this info and b) where else I can get it from. if it's though an EP what does this involve and is their report quite quick? Any pointers appreciated.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

For any appeal it appears CAT and VR scores are necessary.
I wouldn't necessarily go quite as far as that, but I would suggest the rest of the case would need to be persuasive. In exactly the same way, if you didn't have level 5 predictions, the rest of the case would need to be pretty strong!
I am worried in cse the school is unable to give me the CAT/VR scores for any reason and wondered if they are a) allowed refuse this info
I think you can insist, if it comes to it. See this thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... AT#p266908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and b) where else I can get it from. if it's though an EP what does this involve and is their report quite quick? Any pointers appreciated.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you Etienne, will have a look at those. I sent another message to the appeals inbox over a week ago and didn't hear anything back. It was regarding extenuating circs. Not sure if it just got overlooked but your opinion would be appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now