aspergers and appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smartie

aspergers and appeal

Post by smartie »

This week, of all weeks my DD has been diagnosed with Aspergers and had her 11 plus results. Unfortunately she got 101, 109 for non verbal and 93 for verbal. she desperately wants me to appeal but I think there is no hope, although I think the difference in scores in a definate indication of her Aspergers. She has had no additional help, time or much needed support from school, plus did not have tuition. She is likely to level 4s at end of year 6, not surprising she won't be level 5s. Any advice would be welcome.
smartie

Re: aspergers and appeal

Post by smartie »

oops forgot to mention pass mark is 111, also I know from past info that school does not always go for children with high ability more for circumstances
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear smartie

So sorry to hear your disappointing news.
smartie wrote:oops forgot to mention pass mark is 111, also I know from past info that school does not always go for children with high ability more for circumstances
I wouldn't put too much trust in that. The Code of Practice makes clear that, whatever the extenuating circumstances, there is a requirement for grammar school ability.
In determining to uphold an appeal, the panel must be satisfied that there is evidence to demonstrate that the child is of grammar school ability and, where applicable, that the appellant’s arguments outweigh the admission authority’s case that admission of additional children would cause prejudice.
While I'm sure there would be a lot of sympathy for the particular circumstances, you would need to be able to point to some evidence of high ability.

In the past we've certainly had successful appeals involving Aspergers on the forum. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =aspergers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
smartie

Post by smartie »

Thanks for the advice, the only thing extra I have is her recent report where her performance skills are on 82 percentile but verbal skills are only 42 percentile. This was also shown up at end of year 3 but she still had no support.I don't want to pursue something that is a no hoper as we have more challenges to face.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the advice, the only thing extra I have is her recent report where her performance skills are on 82 percentile but verbal skills are only 42 percentile.
Do you have a percentile in this report for NVR or perceptual reasoning?

As the diagnosis is quite recent, would I be right in thinking that no request was made to the relevant authority organising the 11+ for special arrangements to be made?
Etienne
smartie

Post by smartie »

The performance skills related to matrix reasoning and block design, not the other two you mentioned. We did not apply for any special arrangements, didn't feel that the school would support us even though knew how anxious and routine based she is. I feel that she kept it together for the first test, but couldn't maintain it for the second test.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

One can never be entirely sure about appeals, but - to be honest - I think the odds would be very much against you, based on what you've told me.
Etienne
smartie

Post by smartie »

Thnaks for your honesty, I don't think I shall appeal, best to move on.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now