Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: academic evidence
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 am 
We are currently compiling evidence for our daughter's appeal!! The week before the 11 plus results came out she was offered an academic scholarship at an independent school, unfortunately she wasn't keen on the school and even with the scholarship we could not afford to send her there so declined the place. Do you think we should include this in our appeal pack to help with the academic evidence or is is best left out? We have backing of current school with letter from headteacher with SATS results of 5A's and B's predicted. :!: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 am 
I have asked another school for the test results that my child acheived when taking their test (he was offered a place). I haven't heard back from them yet, don't want to chase it but in the event they ignore my request does anyone know if I am legally entitled to it? (It is a comprehensive school that offers out of place catchment places based on a test).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:03 pm 

If necessary, I would put in another request quoting the "data protection act" - to see what their response is.

Regards

Post subject: Re: academic evidence
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:10 pm 

essex mum wrote:
We are currently compiling evidence for our daughter's appeal!! The week before the 11 plus results came out she was offered an academic scholarship at an independent school, unfortunately she wasn't keen on the school and even with the scholarship we could not afford to send her there so declined the place. Do you think we should include this in our appeal pack to help with the academic evidence or is is best left out? We have backing of current school with letter from headteacher with SATS results of 5A's and B's predicted. :!: :?:

I don't think it would do any harm.

The more prestigious the independent school, and the fiercer the competition, the more weight this would have.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:46 pm 

Etienne wrote:
If necessary, I would put in another request quoting the "data protection act" - to see what their response is.

Regards

Hi Etienne

Forgive me querying this, but do you mean the Data Protection Act, or the Freedom of Information Act?

(Still haven't managed to tempt you onto the Addicts forum have I? I've been leaving little titbits for you to pick up everywhere. :wink: )

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 pm 

Etienne you have just edited your post while I was writing to you! I thought you meant FOI - the DPA is of course designed to achieve the exact opposite!!

However, my comments on the Addicts Section still stand!!

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 pm 

Hi, Sally-Anne

Yes, I did mean the Data Protection Act, but my wording was a bit cautious because I had a vague recollection of a get-out clause!

Have just found a previous post on the subject of results:

Anonymous wrote:
Freedom of Information Act does not apply (that Act involves, in simple terms, access to non-personal information).

The Subject Access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) DO apply. Put simply, this means that the "subject" of personal data held by public authorities (i.e. your child, and by extension, you) can request that that personal data be released to them.

HOWEVER, Schedule 7 of the DPA, says that the public authority does not have to release exam/test results until either five months after you have made the request, or forty days after the test results are published (whichever is earlier).

"Addicts"??? :D
Why have you been booted out of "Everything else"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:51 pm 

Not 'booted out' - rather 'promoted' to our own thread -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 pm 

Hi Etienne - you've gone back to the DPA!

I understand your reasoning though, there's a lot of "try and see" involved in the DPA and the FOI. I think it is nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As to "Eleven Plus Addicts" - they (not me - I'm just one of the latecomers!) have created a whole new dimension on the forum. "A place to empathise". I think it is quite a nice place to be (in moderation!) if your child is in No Mans Land, as mine has been for the last 18 months.

Still hoping I can tempt you into the Den of Iniquity one of these days, but very glad you are still a secret viewer!

Sally-Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:11 pm 

Hi, Sally-Anne

I'm mystified. I haven't edited my post.

You haven't been at the Bison again, have you? :D