Berks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chad

Re: Berks appeal

Post by chad »

There is no such thing as a head's summary for Berks. Although (apart from the recommendation) it will be relevant. They are looking at ability foremost. Predicted Sats of 5's across the board which is backed up by 4a in english & Maths atend of Yr 5 and that she is seen to be top 1/3rd in a higher than average achieving school.
The ed psych's comment that she tends to make mistakes on easier questions (if born out on the consortium test) could aid your appeal as it would not take away from her academic ability.
Her increasing CATS scores may be indicative of an increasing maturity... they are certainly going the right way.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There is no 'Berks style' for academic evidence! :)

You simply present as much hard evidence of high academic ability as possible.

For Berks you also need to give specific reasons for wanting a place at the school in question.

Edited to add: I see Chad has beaten me to it!
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Thank you ever so much Chad and Etienne. We are going to give it a go. The HT has given her expected level 5 for every category English overall, Reading, Maths and Science but level 4 in writing, is this going to pose a threat?

DD attained level 4c in writing at end of yr5, 4a in Reading, overall 4b in English, 4c in Maths and 4a in Science.
AnxiousMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suspect that, rather than looking at writing in isolation, the panel is more likely to focus on the overall levels - and at the progression from year 5.

Science looks sound.

Based on normal progression, one might have expected at the end of KS2 a borderline 5c in English, and a 4a in maths. I know she's hardworking, but does the headteacher comment in any way on rapid progress in maths?
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Its not in the headteachers summary sheet, but I have been informed both by my daughter and her teachers that she is in the top set for Maths and she is definitely expected level 5.
AnxiousMum