paper re-mark + analysis

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lassielou

paper re-mark + analysis

Post by lassielou »

Morning All

I have been reading all the fantastic advice on this site for the last year or so, but this is my first post, apologies if this appears in the wrong place!

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of a paper re-mark and anaylsis? We live in Bucks - my son got 112 and 117 in the 11+, we went to appeal but were unsuccessful. I'm genuinely interested to know where he went wrong! He was predicted to pass and showed no signs of being unable to do so. No mittigating circumstances either! Level 5 SATs, very strong support from the school, headmaster predicted 2,1 top sets for Maths, English + Science, letters of support from the teachers, above average or outstanding reports in all subjects .....

All too familiar a story I fear :( !

Thanks
Last edited by lassielou on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gooddad

Re: PAPER RE-MARK + ANALYSIS

Post by gooddad »

Hi , I am so sorry for you. I had my DS paper remarked and analsyied, its costs 25 pounds but it should which types of questions were correct and which one's were incorrect
lassielou

Post by lassielou »

Thanks for posting a reply! Did the re-mark throw up any anomolies? Did the marks change one way or another? Not that I am expecting his marks to change but just interested!? :)
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

hi
The marks were rechecked and did not change at all , ( was hoping they would) the anaylsis should the types of question my DS got wrong, which in paper one was one from diff sections

but in paper 2 he got all the questions right apart from 2 sections which were section 9 and 11, this is at the same time a boy sitting next to him started to cry in the exam and this put my DS off and did not help at all, otherwise he had all the questions right,

the thing is in paper one the same type of questions he got all right
lassielou

Post by lassielou »

Ok - that's interesting - I am going to have the analysis done so I can understand what the problem on the day was! All his practice papers and the papers he did at school predicted a pass - but that doesn't help him now! Did you go to appeal too ?
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi the practice papers my DS did at school we only got 2 questions wrong on the 1st paper and 3 on the other

had our appeal last friday , should know today if we got our appeal. the letter was sent out yesterday from the bucks office 1st class post , so i have been told. The thing is its now out of our hands
lassielou

Post by lassielou »

I very much have my fingers crossed for you !! Good luck - as you say, you've done all you can and now it's out of your hands ....
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi is it still possible to get papers remarked even after you have had a unsuccessful appeal?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The deadline for having papers remarked was back in December. I would imagine that is for practical reasons, in that sooner or later Bucks CC has to archive 7,000+ 11+ papers rather than having them to hand. Although you could call the Admissions team and ask if a late remark is possible, I doubt you would be successful.

I have seen perhaps 10 remarks this year and, with one particular exception, the children's downfall was vocabulary in every case.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

In Gloucestershire most of the grammars will remark manually before appeals, and you can ask to see the answer sheets at the appeal.

It really doesn't answer any questions other than 'did they finish the paper' or ' did they mess up any particular question types'; you won't know what type of question is was because you never get to see the question paper (and neither does the Appeals Panel).

Very, very occassionally there's a difference between the computer marking and manual - I've only once known that happen as the appeal was withdrawn before the hearing - the extra mark gained meant the child would have been offered a place on the corrected score, and the Admission Authority did so as soon as the error was found.

Of course, errors could also account for one mark too many, so the score could also go down.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now