Do I get a prize for the shortest appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
overanxious

Do I get a prize for the shortest appeal?

Post by overanxious »

Ten minutes. And that included Stage One.

It was for non-qual and thus over-subs in Trafford. The school rep only covered the non-qual part i.e. "she didn't reach the qualifying score" and the panel asked her no questions. I asked a couple about how full the school was.

Panel then asked us if we wanted to "summarise" the one page of bullet points we'd sent with our academic evidence. I said we'd like to read out something we'd written, which took a couple of minutes. They asked 4 questions, 2 about the allocated school, one about her sister and "what does she like to do after school"

The school rep didn't summarise their case, we were asked if we wanted to say anything else and read out our conclusion.

I've spent so long here lurking that I was expecting half an hour of questions :D I feel really deflated and underwhelmed by the whole thing. I feel like the school rep didn't cover over-subs because there was never any chance we could win the non-qual. Which is disappointing considering how much time I've spent putting the appeal together.

Moan over! :lol:
Des

Re: Do I get a prize for the shortest appeal?

Post by Des »

Mine was over an hour and could have been a lot longer, I took the hint that I had outstayed my welcome when the lights were turned off and when they came back on I was the only person left in the room apart from the Headmaster who was asleep, LOL
aggsmum

Post by aggsmum »

Our appeal was very short also! Only about 10 minutes!
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Okay, so can anyone tell me whether it's usual (or acceptable) for the school rep to only address one part of the appeal (the non-qual), and for the panel to ask her no questions at all? To me it creates the impression that the non-quals can't succeed and therefore nobody is wasting time with the over-subs arguments. Which may be a totally erroneous impression, but hardly likely to make parents feel confident that their case has been heard impartially.

Tbh, if I hadn't lurked on this board I wouldn't have had any idea what to expect, and probably wouldn't be feeling aggrieved. As well as having a moan I'd like to say a massive thank you to Etienne and all the mods for the brilliant info on here which is really empowering for parents at a time when things feel totally out of your control. It's only from here that we got the idea to get an ed. psych. report for example - which really, really boosted my daughter's confidence and was money well spent whatever the outcome of her appeal. Cheers! :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for your very kind words, overanxious. Much appreciated.

To be honest, there are some panels around (a minority) that ask virtually nothing about anything! Ombudsman investigators don't like it, but on its own it's unlikely to amount to maladministration.

10 minutes really doesn't sound adequate for an appeal!

Let's see what decision you get, but we may need to check for any procedural irregularities.
Etienne
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Just for info, Etienne, this is one of those schools which historically only has 1 or 2 successful appeals a year.
ticktock

Post by ticktock »

x
Last edited by ticktock on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, ticktock. :)
At this school stage one is held at each individual hearing.
They're allowed to do this, but it looks as if they're afraid of meeting appellants as a group .........
I do have some questions for the school using evidence I have that I was just going to ask at the hearing. Should I have submitted the evidence beforehand?
No, I think you're quite right to leave these matters for stage one. They don't give you advance notice of their questions - no need for you to give advance notice of yours.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I was involved in a nq/ os appeal for another Trafford schools a couple of years ago. I don t still have the pack but I recall it was very detailed in terms of passers,postcodes distance from schools etc. The school gave a detailed breakdown of the scores at the appeal. They also gave detailed info about why they couldn't admit any more children- teaching assistants for visually impaired children, etc etc so not enough room.

I must say that I think they did give the full details required for the appeal though sadly at the time I was not as well up as I am now, not having found this site till just before :(

We did win the N/q but our o /s case was weak as we didn't understand the process.

The school were then I feel less than helpful on the waiting list situation but it doesn't matter now.

I must say the AGGS appeals don't sound the same as I thought they would given in the same LA.
ticktock

Post by ticktock »

x
Last edited by ticktock on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.