West Midlands, Birmingham, KEAS Twins - Worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DesiPerson

West Midlands, Birmingham, KEAS Twins - Worth appealing?

Post by DesiPerson »

Hello Forum,

I have identical twin sons.
DS1 has been offered a place at KEAS.
DS2 was not successful at any GS even though he scored 212 (cut off for BVGS). He missed entry to BVGS on distance from home rule. DS2 has therefore been offered local comp school.
I've been advised by BCC that he is 8th on the waiting list for BVGS and 54th for KEAS.
Both DS1 and DS2 are distraught at the prospect of being split up after spending 11 years of their lives together and are in tears all the time.
DS1 and DS2 were neck and neck during the revision for the tests so we as parents felt that they would both achieve the same GS.
DS2 does usually get overly nervous in exam situations and I guess that is what happened on the day.

Because of the distress they are both currently feeling at the prospect of being split up, I am considering appealing to KEAS on these grounds and the fact that DS2 is only 4 points away from the cut off for KEAS.

Please can anyone advise whether I am likely to succeed at the appeal process on the above grounds plus a supporting letter from the current HT plus evidence that both DS1 and DS2 are both in the Gifted and Talented programme at their current school plus DS1 and DS2 both received glowing reports in Yr5? Both are currently achieving level 5B in English and 6B in Maths in their mock SATS tests at school.

I can't bear to see them so distressed and tearful at the prospect of being split up.

Please can someone help advise whether it is worth appealing to KEAS to allow DS2 to attend that school so that he can be with his brother?

Many thanks in anticipation,

DesiPerson.
Etienne

Re: West Midlands, Birmingham, KEAS Twins - Worth appealing?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

It's difficult at the best of times to predict the outcome of most appeals - but they can be quite hard to win at the KE schools in particular.

If you want to try, all you can do is follow the general advice we give.
Cases are normally based on: If you read all the way through the Q&As, you should get a good understanding of the process (how to draft a letter of appeal, etc.)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
DesiPerson

Post by DesiPerson »

Thanks Etienne.

How can i get a CAT scorefor my son?

If i can produce the strong academic evidence and supporting letters from HT and CT, given what i have stated above, do you think i have a reasonable appeal case?

What is the success rate for Birmingham KE school appeals?

The fundamentals of my case are that DS was 4 points away and he is distressed about being split from his twin brother.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks Etienne. How can i get a CAT scorefor my son?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If i can produce the strong academic evidence and supporting letters from HT and CT, given what i have stated above, do you think i have a reasonable appeal case?
I would have thought so, if the academic evidence is really strong and wide-ranging. With regard to the separation of the twins, will you have any proof of the distress caused? (For example: sleeplessness, GP involvement?)
What is the success rate for Birmingham KE school appeals?
I don't have figures to hand, but I gather from KenR that the success rate is not at all good.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now