Appeal help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Appeal help

Post by Etienne »

No, it's not a selective school as such, so I don't think they can or will take into account general ability.

Maths, on the other hand, is relevant because it's a specific ability that you are linking with something the school is noted for.

Happy Easter!
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Dear Etienne,

We have received all documents now regarding oyr appeal but I just want to clarify:

1. Can Headmaster be "In Attendance" of an appeal for VA school ?

2. Is it possible that after an appeal hearing child is moved up the waiting list after all evidence presented ?

Thanks again,

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

1. Can Headmaster be "In Attendance" of an appeal for VA school ?
Yes. Sometimes the head of an own-admission authority school would attend to represent the 'other side' (the admission authority) and to present the school's case. Or, if there's a separate presenting officer to represent the admission authority, sometimes the head might attend as a witness to answer specific questions about the school. The words 'in attendance' rather than 'presenting officer' suggest to me that his role will be that of a witness, but I can't be sure about that.
2. Is it possible that after an appeal hearing child is moved up the waiting list after all evidence presented ?
Strictly speaking, the two processes - admissions (which includes management of the waiting list) and appeals - are entirely separate, so an appeal panel can have nothing to do with the waiting list.

If anything new and significant comes to light during the appeal hearing (by 'significant' I mean something relevant to the oversubscription criteria that might therefore affect the position on the waiting list), it would be best to take this up with the admission authority outside of the hearing.
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Thanks Etienne,

Yes, evidence we have would give us an extra points and DS would be in different band originally. Waiting list is set up in order of oversubscription criteria and therefore would be higher on list.

Circumstances and evidence for delayed baptism are outlined in next year (2012/2013) admission which are quite similiar to our case for one of the schools we are appealing. Could we point that out during appeal?

Thank you,
J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, evidence we have would give us an extra points and DS would be in different band originally. Waiting list is set up in order of oversubscription criteria and therefore would be higher on list.
If you do have evidence that would affect your position on the waiting list, you ought to submit it to the admission authority immediately!
Circumstances and evidence for delayed baptism are outlined in next year (2012/2013) admission which are quite similiar to our case for one of the schools we are appealing. Could we point that out during appeal?
If this is the school in question, then yes, very briefly, and with a wry smile, I suggest. :)
Clearly it can't be applied retrospectively - but it might possibly elicit a bit of sympathy from the panel!
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Etienne,

Sorry for my ignorance ,I am asking the school to consider the additional evidence or do I just submit and see what they say (ie too late as places were allocated).
Thanks,

J
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If the issue is to do with the oversubscription criteria, and you have clear evidence of a relevant change in circumstances, ask them if it would affect your place on the waiting list.

To give a hypothetical example:
  • A school uses distance as one of the criteria. A child is not offered a place because the family live too far away. Subsequently the family move closer to the school. Nothing can be done about the allocations already made, but as soon as they provide all the necessary proof of the new address, their position on the waiting list might well be higher.
Exceptionally, there could be a criterion that is not be open to a change in circumstances (timely baptism being an obvious example, because either the child is baptised within the specified time frame, or is not).

The point about oversubscription criteria is that they must be clear and objective, and impartially applied to admissions and to the waiting list.

An appeal panel, on the other hand, is not bound by the oversubscription criteria (although it can take them into account). It has the discretion to look at individual circumstances.
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Evidence as such is not new (10 - 11 years old) but documents relate to exceptional circumstances for delaying baptism as described in Admission 2012/2013.

We never submitted that evidence as they are not documents which we wanted the school to read, but it is also supported by GP.

Thank you for all your help,Etienne.This site is fantastic.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

documents relate to exceptional circumstances for delaying baptism as described in Admission 2012/2013.
John - I don't think this can affect current admissions/waiting list (if by 'admission 2012/13' you're referring to entry in Sept. 2013) - but it is evidence you can ask the appeal panel to take into account.
Etienne
john129

Post by john129 »

Sorry Etienne I might be creating some confusion here.

Yes,we have evidence which we didnt submit.

Current admission 2011/2012 said to provide evidence for delay but we thought it would be too bad for school to know neither did they clarify what is acceptable as "beyond parental control".

I have looked at new admission 2012/2013 where they have got examples of circumstances and thought of hidden evidence we have and perhaps should have used it.

We have included ALL evidence already with our appeal. So should we just leave it at that and just see how appeal goes?

J
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now