Grammar School Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Sally-Anne

Yes, we had just got back.

I follow your logic in focusing on academic subjects (I trust the 20+ pages are cheque book style rather than A4 in size :D), but am uneasy about reports being edited.

I think I would have no problem with this if the reasoning is explained to the panel, along with the comment "I have the full report with me if you wish to see it." This would resolve a not unfamiliar problem - namely, that parents have edited out something the panel actually wish to see. It would also alleviate any suspicion that something is being concealed.

I would recommend always including the summing up by the class teacher / headteacher, and any page that explains the grades being used.

Regards
Etienne
Worried Mum

Message for Etienne/Guest55/KentMum1

Post by Worried Mum »

Hello there, sorry to be a pain, but just one more question before I submit my letter and evidence to the panel before the hearing, I've explained the lack of co-operation from the school in a very brief and reasonable way and I've highlighted areas of ability and potential, also comments which I think are relevant on the y5 school report, do you think I should mention the current levels which my son is working at, which are 5c for reading, 4c for writing and 4b for maths, (maths being the paper he failed), or would it be best to leave these out? I know that realistically they would be looking for level 5's to be successful but as KentMum1 told me, her son passed the 11+ well on a level 4c for maths. I don't know what his predicted levels are for the May SAT's. Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Etienne is the appeals expert but my feeling is that as the current levels aren't level 5s they probably are best omitted.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My feeling is the same. If I were on the panel, at this time of year I would ideally like to see "working at level 5 in Maths," or at least 4a.

This is not to say that three predicted 5s are absolutely essential for a successful appeal (it is well known that not every child going to grammar school has three 5s) - it's just that, in the event of non-qualification at the 11+, you need as much alternative academic evidence as possible.
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Etienne wrote:My feeling is the same. If I were on the panel, at this time of year I would ideally like to see "working at level 5 in Maths," or at least 4a.

This is not to say that three predicted 5s are absolutely essential for a successful appeal (it is well known that not every child going to grammar school has three 5s) - it's just that, in the event of non-qualification at the 11+, you need as much alternative academic evidence as possible.
Thanks for that, I actually mis-typed his maths score, he is currently working at 4a, not 4b (that was year5!!), worth putting in or still omit?
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Guest,

With a score of a 4a last year I would expect your child to now be working at a level 5, however to find this out you need to ask the school. Our school cannot get involved with our appeal as the LEA have pointed out to them a conflict of interests, but they have been great in supplying my daughters work and information on test results. At this time of year I would find it extremely difficult to buy that they don't have any as most schools are working hard towards there SATs and have done many practice papers, so the teachers have a good indication of were your child is at.

Could you not go in and ask to see their marks? Your not asking for information that you as a parent are not entitled to see and know about your child.
I know at this time that I feel like a terrible burden on the school asking for various bits of information but if you don't have them the panel will never have a true understanding of their academic potential.

I wish you all the luck in the world…

AM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Worried Mum wrote: Thanks for that, I actually mis-typed his maths score, he is currently working at 4a, not 4b (that was year5!!), worth putting in or still omit?
A close call! The problem is, although a current 4a might be acceptable, it's a bit borderline, and doesn't support your case which (if I've understood correctly) is along the lines "My son is in the top Maths set, and the 11+ result was a blip ......"

On balance, I think I'd omit for the present. If you can get something better out of the school nearer the time of the appeal, you can provide the panel with an update then.

Regards
Etienne

Appeal

Post by Guest »

Thank you all for your advice and support, it really helps. My problem now is that our hearing is on Weds 25th, and any supporting evidence needs to be with the panel at least a week beforehand, which gives me till this Weds at latest, I will approach the teacher tomorrow when we return to school to see if there's anything he can do to help, in the meantime I will send my letter to the panel explaining my reasons for appealing and the copy of the y5 report, if anything else is forthcoming from the school I'll have to copy it and take it with me, do you think this will be acceptable?
I'm starting to feel a bit defeated already and am now wondering if it's worth all the headache, I don't really feel that optimistic....

Re: Appeal

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Thank you all for your advice and support, it really helps. My problem now is that our hearing is on Weds 25th, and any supporting evidence needs to be with the panel at least a week beforehand, which gives me till this Weds at latest, I will approach the teacher tomorrow when we return to school to see if there's anything he can do to help, in the meantime I will send my letter to the panel explaining my reasons for appealing and the copy of the y5 report, if anything else is forthcoming from the school I'll have to copy it and take it with me, do you think this will be acceptable?
I'm starting to feel a bit defeated already and am now wondering if it's worth all the headache, I don't really feel that optimistic....
Not sure what's happening here, when I try to reply as Worried Mum, I keep getting a message saying the user name is taken? The above is from me but it's come up as GUEST for that reason.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Put a note in with your reports etc. saying you are awaiting information and will bring 6 copies with you [one per person].

Do not give up - you need to believe you have a good case and present the evidence that matches your opinion.

Good luck - we are all behind you.