Grammar School Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Worried Mum

Post by Worried Mum »

So you would recommend contacting them first rather than leave it till the hearing - I didn't know whether to query it on the day?

Do you think a 5c is adequate as a predicted maths score for May?
Worried Mum

Grammar School Appeal

Post by Worried Mum »

[quote="Guest55"]I would contact the Grammar school and clarify - I think I would want the panel to know that the Primary hadn't appealed because it's not their policy to do so [or some such].[/quote]

I won't be able to claim that it's not their policy because I don't know that it's not, but it seems strange that they didn't appeal for anyone. The school has a fairly new head, and at the secondary transfer meeting in September she seemed to be steering parents AWAY from the 11+, maybe she just doesn't favour grammar schools, maybe worth mentioning.
Worried Mum

Grammar School Appeal

Post by Worried Mum »

Hello,

Re the letter I received yesterday, I phoned the grammar school today to ask why this incorrect and untrue statement was made in the decision made by the board of governors, but the school secretary told me that Kent provided the list for them and she beleives it's an admin error, a letter is being issued to all parents affected, apparently there have been quite a few!
Worried Mum

Etienne, Guest55 - Just been thinking.....

Post by Worried Mum »

Hello there, I've been thinking (look out!!), if by any chance our appeal did go through and my son got a place, (which he won't, so I don't know why I'm even thinking about it)....would he be considered to be of lower ability and be grouped as such within the year group because he had not passed the 11 plus?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a teacher I tended to look at the KS2 levels rather than the 11+ score - I have said elsewhere that one of the most able pupils I ever taught had VR117 and got all A*s at GCSE and 4 As at A level ...

Pupil targets are set on KS2 levels not 11+ score -

Be positive about the appeal - you have to believe in your own case ...
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Worried mum

When is your appeal? I too am appealing but not in your area, our date is 3rd May and I'm preparing now how to conduct myself and what I should say. Witll the teacher or head go with you to the appeal?

Jenny Wren

:D
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Etienne,
d. “My child hasn’t been coached” rarely makes much of an impact, unless it is specifically recommended by the admission authority, and you have only just moved into the area
Would it be worth pointing out that the LEA told us "No coaching is necessary", but then the only children to pass in our school were children who were coached.
Is it fair that some parents heed what the LEA say and others who ignore it are accommodated?

Sorry I know I'm grasping at straws but we are only days away.

AM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As the LA say coaching is not needed I would not mention it.

Focus on the academic evidence for your child - do not get sidetracked!
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Yes mum!
Focus on the academic evidence for your child - do not get sidetracked!
How come I don't get it put politely anymore?

Dame Hel I'm focusing I promise! Just trying to find a jolly good argument to sink my teeth into.

AM
x
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Etienne

I have just found my sons Key Stage 1 results Maths, science and reading level 3, writing level 2B. Should I subit this as late evidence, take it with me or not bother. I'm a bit worried about the 2b :!:

Jenny