Considering Essex Appeal but how to find Ed. Psych first?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Clarabelle

Considering Essex Appeal but how to find Ed. Psych first?

Post by Clarabelle »

Hi

DD didn't score highly enough to be offered gs place. Whilst the test centre did allow her to sit the exam in a separate, quiet room (for her own issues but also to prevent her 'tics' disturbing others) they would not make further allowance of additional reading time as I requested. I am now wondering if it is worth appealing. She currently has a diagnosis but her support workers feel very strongly she is on the autistic spectrum despite a previous ADOS assessment saying she isn't. I wonder if getting a report from an ed. psych would benefit her.

How do I find a reputable ed. psych? I realise they are expensive but if OH agrees will try to raise the money. Also what does their assessment involve?

Many thanks
Clarabelle
Etienne

Re: Considering Essex Appeal but how to find Ed. Psych first

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to "WISC tests" at the end)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"How can I find a good educational psychologist?"
Etienne
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Many thanks Etienne, much appreciated.
Clarabelle
Clarabelle

Essex Notice of Appeal Form - What to write?

Post by Clarabelle »

(takes a deep breath) Ok, I've decided to submit the notice of appeal forms but just don't know what to write in the grounds for appeal box? What to put? How much detail? I'm looking at a non-qualification appeal but also have issues over the refusal of additional time. I don't have the supporting evidence yet & still need to book ed. psych appt. I feel like I'm trying to fire fight from all sorts of angles & doing this alone. Help!!
Clarabelle
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you feel you need more time, all you have to do for now is write "Details of case to follow".

In the past anything provided within a week or two of the hearing has usually been acceptable, but under the new Code admission authorities are required to be absolutely clear about what the deadline is:
2.7 No later than 10 school days before the hearing, the admission authority must provide appellants with written notification of the date of and arrangements for the hearing. The notification must include a deadline for the submission of any further evidence that was not sent with the initial appeal.
Whatever deadline applies to evidence would also apply to the details of your case.
Etienne
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Thank you Etienne so much. I think I did read 10 days somewhere today. I can breathe a little easier for now... Ed. psych assessment is booked for 12 April. Just got to put in the statutory assessment request & the appeal notice asap.
Clarabelle
Clarabelle

Essex appeal tomorrow - help!

Post by Clarabelle »

Apologies first if this doesn't make sense. Getting v stressed! Got our first appeal tomorrow. I have to go alone because OH has to attend the TAC meeting in DD's school which CAMHS will be attending for the first time.

I feel I am not prepared and will let DD down. This is what I have so far.
Letter from HT which says her academic achievement has always been excellent, currently working at 5A for maths and 4A in english & science but targeted for L5 in the SATS (done last week). Reading age in Feb was 12yrs 10mnths, & spelling 12yrs 4mnths. Letter goes onto she attends G&T PE, was selected for inschool 11+ club, which put her in the top 10 of her year. Says she is diligent and able child whose academic prowess and conscientious application will ensure she is an asset to any school she attends. "I believe X will thrive in the academic and social environment fostered by X. A sheet is attached to the letter giving reading, writing and maths results from year 2 to present.

A letter from current school giving results of practice tests in October 2011.

Also have a letter from high level support worker stating our family situation in November 2011 and supporting dd having a grammar education.

Copy of letter from CAMHS to GP following dd's first appt with them in April 2012. This states she was started on Rispiridone medication at that appt.

Copy of letter from CAMHS to SENCAN saying that in their opinion dd urgently needs to be considered for a Statement as 'she is very vulnerable within the structure of a mainstream secondary school'.

Copy of letter from CAMHS to current school requesting dd be allowed to take an IPod on residential trip as it 'helps to regulate her very high levels of anxiety and distress'.

Copy of letter from current school stating dd will commence with the learning mentor twice weekly from Sept 2011 (this was for emotional support not academic).

Copies of grammar prospectus with relevant sections highlighted which refer to what I feel are relevant points as to why dd would be better suited to this school. (nothing academic as such more pastoral etc).

I also have a leaflet from the adoption agency relating to drug abuse in pregnancy. DD is adopted and has a complex history.

I haven't prepared a 'speech' as such, I have made notes but think I would prefer to try & speak 'from the heart' as my OH put it.

I realise at this late stage I will have to provide copies for the panel & will be off to Staples tonight to do so!

What do you think, I am on completely the wrong tack here??

I am going to send my prepared 'speech' to the mod's inbox as would prefer not to make this public for personal reasons.
Clarabelle
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

I just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck Clarabelle - really hope you have a positive outcome.
Charl39
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Thank you so much Charl. It's nigh on impossible here in Essex but nothing ventured.... got to do this for DD as she is heartbroken she didn't make it. :cry:
Clarabelle
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Clarabelle

Thank you for the information you sent to the Appeals Box. I assume that it is supplementary to the academic evidence? You have very solid evidence of her medical and personal history, and lots of it, but it must still play second fiddle to the academic evidence.

I would cover her early history very, very briefly indeed, and I would caution against using the word "struggle" - it does sound a little too negative, and may cause the panel to question whether her welfare really will be best served by a highly demanding school. You need to make it clearer that your comments are made in the context of the pastoral care that the school can offer, and that her struggle will be a social and emotional one, rather than an academic one.

Can I just check whether you have already submitted the bulk of your evidence to the panel in advance? If so, you will not need to provide them with copies because the clerk to the panel will have already circulated copies.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now