Help Please is it worth appealing??????

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
busybees

Help Please is it worth appealing??????

Post by busybees »

MY son has been offered place at his second choice and he has missed out by one point.

Can some one please advise me if its worth appealing and on what basis can i appeal and he is in the first 10 on waiting list but being realistic dont think he has a good chance.

Many thanks in advance for help.
Last edited by busybees on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chad

Re: Help Please re. appeal on basis of age worth appealing??

Post by chad »

I wouldn't think that 'age standardisation' would help your appeal as it is refers to the 'cohort' that was born in January compared with those in other months of the year. Your main thrust of the appeal should always be academic ability.
If you post the school that you are interested in then someone with local knowledge could possibly advise you further.
Amber

Post by Amber »

busybees wrote:MY son has been offered place at his second choice and he has missed out by one point. As its age standerdised he was born in January this has played some part in the score.

Can some one please advise me if its worth appealing on the age basis and he in the first 10 on waiting list but being realistic dont think he has a good chance.

Many thanks in advance for help.
Why do you think that being born in January would have disadvantaged your son?
The way I understand age standardisation is that a child is essentially compared only with those born in the same month...the procedure is designed to correct for an apparent advantage to older children. As someone whose first DC taking the test is old in the year, I did smart a little at this, especially as no such corrections are made in GCSEs etc...but I still can't really see it being a card one could play at appeal...though I am sure others will know better than I do. :?
aargh

Post by aargh »

I agree with Amber. Age standardisation is about comparing those born in each month with each other.

Age standardisation is regarded as a necessary part of the process or it would not be done. It is there to make sure things are as fair as possible.
It would not be allowed as a factor at appeal, birth month has already been taken into account through the standardisation process.

If it were to be allowed then any child older than your DC would be allowed to use this as an appeal too and your DC would be more disadvantaged!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now