12plus appeal non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stilltrying

12plus appeal non-qualification

Post by stilltrying »

Hi Etienne,

Wondered if i could get some advice please, it is my daughter's appeal on Monday. She wanted to take the 12plus after narrowly failing the 11plus 117 marks out of 118 on second paper. She is in year 7 at the local comprehensive in Wirral.

She achieved the following results for the 12plus

Verbal reasoning 127 = 91%
English 107 standarised mark
Science 30/68 (looks low but it was an end of year test and she hadn't covered more than 1/3 of the curriculum)
Maths 40/60

We have been told that these results are only average and that she is not grammar school standard.
However she previously got full support from her primary headteacher that she was grammar school standard and achieved level 5s in English, Maths and Science.
She is currently (March 2012) assessed as 6c for English, 5A for Maths and Science and her expected levels for year 8 are all level 7s.

Do you think there is any chance at the appeal?
thank you
Etienne

Re: 12plus appeal non-qualification

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

The VR is well-above average.
English is within an age-appropriate range (i.e. a standardised score between 85–115).
Can't really comment on the maths and science as I don't know what the standard was.

I assume that "she is not grammar school standard" is part of the case for the admission authority. You counter this at appeal with evidence that she is of the right standard.

Very difficult to predict the outcome of appeals, but the more evidence you have of her ability, the better!

Good points:
  • narrow miss at 11+.
    full support from her primary headteacher that she was grammar school standard and achieved level 5s in English, Maths and Science.
    expected levels for year 8 are all level 7s.
Etienne
stilltrying

Post by stilltrying »

Hi Etienne,

Many thanks for your reply. The grammar school have said they would like to see Maths and Science results within the top quartile. My daughters results are in the region of 67% for Maths and also for Science if you were to take of a 1/3 off the total required due to it being an end of year test.

At the previous 11plus appeal they placed so much emphasis on the verbal reasoning being the best predictor of future success and that it didn't take into account what had already been learnt or not learnt as the case may be, at primary school.

It seems a little unfair now that after passing the verbal reasoning so well in the 12plus, they also require very high standards in Maths, English and Science?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I do sympathise, but it's not unusual for a late selection procedure to include curriculum tests (and even to exclude VR!). I suppose the argument is that the child has to 'fit in' with those who've already been working at a fast pace in a grammar school environment.

It seems to me that you must show she would indeed fit in - on the basis of evidence that she is on target for level 7 standard in year 8.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now