appeals presentation

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
karen

appeals presentation

Post by karen »

I am having a bit of a problem with my appeals presentation, I know that academic evidence comes first, but I need to explain medical problems but it is taking up just as much time as academic evidence. I feel that if I don't explain the circumstances in the 11 plus exam and afterwards it will not explain the drop in mark. What does anyone think? In all my presentation is only about 3 minutes at the most. I also have 2 doctors letters and an excellent headteachers report. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Karen

3 minutes is an admirably brief presentation!

Put the academic achievement first - the Head's report, any other academic highlights and information. They demonstrate "why your child deserves a place", and are paramount in all Appeal hearings.

You then present "the reasons why it didn't happen". If the medical evidence is particularly complex, then it deserves to take more time than the academic. However, if it can be understood by a lay person quite easily, don't make a meal of it. Present it factually and make sure that you emphasise the key factors that prevented your child achieving the result they should have.

In an ideal appeal, the academic evidence will outweigh the mitigating circumstances, but occasionally it is the latter.

Good luck - come back to us if you need to.

Sally-Anne
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you for your help, is 3mins too quick?! Also, should I mention my daughter being picked out as talented in maths by a Lea representative in yr 5 to her headteacher, or would this not be relevant as there is no evidence as such. Thanks again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Karen

3 minutes is perhaps on the brief side - but you need to spend anything extra on academic evidence if possible!

You can mention the "G&T", and the subject, and maybe make more of it. Be more specific about the event and subject matter. If the school can provide more detail about the event - who was the LEA person, what was the event, then get hold of it, pronto!

I have a sense that you are being slightly shy about your appeal, and hiding behind the medical evidence.

Pull together everything that you have that shows that your child is "well above average" academically. They don't need to be Einstein, just bright with supporting evidence.

Then put the medical reasons behind your case.

Are you submitting any other academic evidence apart from the Head's report?

Sally-Anne
karen

Post by karen »

I do have the name of the LEA rep, it was a maths course that he was running and he pointed my daughter out, it was the head who told me when I went see if I should appeal. She has put in her headteachers report that she is a very able mathematician. You're right I am a bit shy, especially as the school is not bending over backwards to help, other than the report. I have her end of year 5 report and I will take in her class books. I also have her last 3 years CAT scores from the school. I'm not sure whether there is anything else I can get to help. She is a June child so maybe I can use this, I know they get extra points but she does seem to be suddenly taking leaps and bounds with her work at the moment. Also she was not tutored, can I discretly use this in any way ? Thank you :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Karen

Which area are you in? That would help us advise you.

Quote the G&T day. You should not mention that she wasn't tutored - the "baseline" that all schools/counties use is that no child needs to be tutored. (Yes, I know, but that's what they say.)

Do you have predicted SATs, previous VR /NVR results?

Please let us have more information - the more we have, the more we can help you.

Sallly-Anne
karen

Post by karen »

Dear Sally-Ann
We're in Berkshire, SATS levels as at Jan2007 are 4/5 English,5 Maths and 5 Science. CAT scores

yr 3 nv 118 vr 116

yr4 nv 120 vr 115

yr5 nv 123 vr 110

The head teacher's report doesn't give predicted SATs score for May but just what they were working at, at the time of the report. I know the CAT scores aren't that high for verbal reasoning so I feel a bit unsure about using them. Karen
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now