thank you!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reeyah

thank you!

Post by reeyah »

Just wanted to stop by to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to the information about the appeal process :)

I have FINALLY drafted my letter ( one A4 sheet, as advised! ). I found the information on this site invaluable.

Thank you once again!

Reeyah x
Etienne

Re: thank you!

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Reeyah - very kind of you to post that.

Not so easy where you are - but good luck with your appeal.
Etienne
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Thank you :) I will let you know either way in a few weeks!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I have emailed more details about my DS's academic evidence that I put forward so far.

I'm not sure of it is enough for the Birmingham Appeals and was wondering if it's worth forking out for a proper Cognitive ability report?

Thank u for your time :-)

Reeyah
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Reeyah

The evidence you've mentioned looks good - but only your particular panel can say whether it will be sufficient.
Is he on target for level 5s, or has illness affected the likely results?

No easy answer regarding an EP report, I'm afraid, because one can never be sure just how much weight an individual appeal panel will give any particular bit of evidence. It also depends on the sort of case you want to put forward. An EP report could be used to show:
  • (a) very high overall ability and suitability for grammar school,
    (b) any extenuating circumstances such as dyslexia,
    (c) compensating evidence to address underperformance in one area of the 11+.
As an example of (c), if the 11+ happened to consist of VR and maths, and you think the VR result was not really representative of his ability, then an EP report showing very superior verbal comprehension skills would help reinforce the NFER VR score you already have.
On the other hand, if it was in maths that he seems to have 'underperformed', a really good report from the school about ability in maths might be sufficient.
Etienne
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Thank you Etienne :)

He seemed to be on target for maths until today! He's been told 'hovering' in maths between 4/5 :roll:

Quite a few of his classmates are predicted a level 6.. So it's a very bright class.

I spoke to an Ed Psych .. Think it's a bit much to pay out £400 when the Appeal will most likely fail anyway!! ( as is the case usually in Birmingham!).

Thank u for the very useful information you so patiently give Etienne.. Much appreciated! Suddenly I'm not even that bothered if it fails... As one of the lovely members on here said, including hubby, why insist on KEAS when we have the leafy suburb of Sutton Coldfield! I will just have to get used to the long journey :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now