Appeal or Settle 4 the alternative, a Comprehensive School?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Goosey74

Re: Appeal or Settle 4 the alternative, a Comprehensive Scho

Post by Goosey74 »

Hi , I have recently been through this process and had my child's appeal upheld. I emailed the LA and asked them about the PAN for the start of the academic year of each year in the school. The LA officer who was presenting on behalf of the school emailed me back but only told me the highest number above PAN that a cohort had ever reached in the last 5years. He presumed the focus of my appeal was to say because they had taken 5 over PAN before, they could do it again. Of course it wasn't , it was my DS needed a place at the school and I had evidence to support this. PM me if you need to know anything else, I have posted in the feedback sticky.
11+

Post by 11+ »

Congrats.. really pleased for you guys... what a relief! I agree, the focus needs to be on the child and why this is the only school they should go to. We have had the case paper from the LA, hard to make sense of them, other than the fact they are up to full capacity under dfe rules..
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Does anyone know how I find out how many appeals were allowed in previous years, or more importantly what the actual year 7 intake was in September. I have rang up the council and they just tell me the PAN for each of the years. When I rang the school, they again just told me the PAN numbers.
Ask "How many successful appeals have there been in each of the last three years?" and for "the actual year 7 intake number last September (not the PAN)", put it in writing (letter or email), and send it to the relevant admission authority (this might be the LA, or it might be the school), stating that you are requesting this information "under the Freedom of Information Act".
Etienne
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Like Goosey, have recently had an appeal upheld. I did the same as her, but also emailed the LEA and asked how many appeals had actually been lodged over the last few years (I knew how many had been successful from the sticky in our county), to give me an idea of 'success rates' etc. The LEA also told me how many had been oversub appeals and non-qual. But as everyone says, its about why your DC needs that school.
11+

Post by 11+ »

Thank you all for your input...good to hear so many of you have been successful at your appeals and are willing to share your experiences to benefit others. I have to say, as a family if it was not for this website/forums/moderators we would have made awful mistakes with huge consequences.

Etienne, will send them an email and hopefully will get a indication.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi 11+,

I really feel for you...we were in a situation last Summer when our three appeals failed and I completely understand that you rightly feel that this is a desperately unfair situation.

To help your appeal would it be worth asking what the numbers are on the schools roll for years 7-11? This would show you if they have gone over Pan in previous years. If you see that they have gone above Pan have a look at exam results and other great results/awards to show that the school has not suffered admitting over Pan. The school website is invaluable ....have a look for newsletters etc

Good Luck x
11+

Post by 11+ »

Thanks tigger2... sorry to hear about you situation last year. Did you end up settling for a comprehensive? has it gone ok?
11+

Post by 11+ »

What should be included in a closing submission, which is not repetitive to our written statement? Thanks for you advice.
Goosey74

Post by Goosey74 »

Hi 11+

I closed by saying that the school was tailor made for my DS. I briefly listed in order of importance the reasons why he needed a place at the school. I then thanked them for hearing his appeal. Hope this helps. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Etienne, what would you do if you sent that question about successful appeals under FOI to the admissions authority of a VA school (the govs) and didn't get an answer?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now