Etienne please read!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

claireabel

Re: Etienne please read!

Post by claireabel »

Thank you all so much for your help and kind words.

Well im not sure how it went....

we changed a little of what we originally wrote taking out some things that hat been in our initial statement and added some other things we have worked on since our first statement including more about why we/he wanted this particular school as etienne recommended...ty :D i told them why my son wanted to go there and even included what my son said to me at the school when the head boy spoke "that could be me up there in a few years mum" which made me cry (so embarissing!)

The head teacher form his junior school came with us for which i am so grateful. She was amazing and very passionate about my sons ability and how he should be in a grammar school. Even though we had to prove my sons ability the main basis of our appeal was discrimination due to my sons special needs.

He was given a small amount of extra time in one section of one paper to allow for his disability processing language but dispite us (myself and headteacher) informing them of his complete melt downs when frustrated due to not understanding whats written nothing more was done.

We looked into what the law said about this and it said that the circumstances were supposed to be modified for the INDIVIDUAL'S needs which we do not feel was done.

Thanks to this site i found an ombudsman report about a similar but more extreem circumstance at kings school in grantham which we also made referance to.

One note i would like to make for anyone going through appeal in the birmingham area especially, is that all three headteachers cases for our appeals (3 diff appeals) all stated repeatedly where my son was on their waiting list. According to the appeals code 2012 this information is not to be disclosed to the panel so as to not predjudice them. Out of interest i contacted the ombusdman who said if our case was not successful to let them know as the fact this information was on the head teachers original statement and the panel had a copy of this in advance this may unknowingly predjudice them. I cant believe that all 3 of our cases did the same even though it against the code.

At one point i felt that the headmaster was actually on our side even though of course he could not say that but i do think he empathised with our situation.

I really hope the panel find in his favour its been such a hard time these last couple of months and veryunsettling for my son as he doesnt know what school hes going to. If we had money it wouldnt be so bad as a local independant school have given him a large scholarship but we still cant afford to pay the rest.

I will keep u all posted as things progress and if we arent successful i hope i can maybe help someone else in the future. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now