Appeal hearing soon

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kent mother

Appeal hearing soon

Post by Kent mother »

We have our hearing next week in Kent for our daughter. Have been
informed that upwards of 40 appeals are going to panel for a handful of
places! We have fantastic support from the headteacher, plus extenuating circumstances (illness). But none the less feel very apprehensive as maths score was only 104, VR129 and NVR 118 (pass mark 120,120,115 in one paper). Panel are all male, not sure if this is a good or bad thing I was hoping for at least one female!

GOOD LUCK to all going through this stressful process
louann

Appeals

Post by louann »

What school are you appealing for out of interest?

We found out last week that our appeal had been successful and were sooooooooooooo pleased.

Everyone said that we were wasting our time as this particular school never takes anyone on appeal. What a great feeling it was to be able to tell them different!!!

Good luck and just stay focused. You know your child better than anyone and will do anything for them.
kent mother

appeal hearing soon

Post by kent mother »

Thanks for that? Well done you must be very relieved. Did you feel your appeals hearing went well on the day and that they had read all the evidence submitted? I have heard some parents complain that they had to recap on a lot of issues that they presumed the panel would have known? Hope you don't mind me asking you a few more questions? Did you go alone to the hearing? I think if you are going as a couple it must be hard not to 'overtalk' the other! What sort of questions were you asked? Any info you can impart would be really appreciated!

Well done again on your success.
louann

Appeal hearing

Post by louann »

Hi. Three of us went to the appeal hearing and did not overtalk each other as the panel directed questions to us individually. They know the case well and had made notes on the appeal forms that we had submitted.

On the day I thought that it had gone well but started having doubts whilst waiting for the outcome (1 week later). The chair of the panel seemed to be on our side, one member seemed to be sitting on the fence whilst the third seemed against it.

Take additional supporting evidence if you have it and just say everything even if you do not think that it is relevant as you only have one chance.

What school do you want?

Questions asked were general, what we his hobbies, does he enjoy school and how far away we lived from the school and how he would travel there each day. Also if he had been tutored at all.

BEST OF LUCK. Keep in touch
capers123

Re: Appeal hearing

Post by capers123 »

louann wrote:The chair of the panel seemed to be on our side, one member seemed to be sitting on the fence whilst the third seemed against it.
That sounds familiar to me. On our panel we all react differently to people, but sometimes chatting afterwards, we find ourselves agreeing.
Take additional supporting evidence if you have it.
Take it even if you think it's unimportant as we might find it useful. Take extra examples of your childs work and offer them - but don't take it as a snub if they're not looked at. If you can find nice handwriting & good spellings / punctuation / grammar, include that prominently in the pack!
Questions asked were general, what we his hobbies, does he enjoy school and how far away we lived from the school and how he would travel there each day. Also if he had been tutored at all.
We do touch on travelling when looking at appeals, but not in a major way.

Good luck.
Capers
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal hearing

Post by Sally-Anne »

capers123 wrote:If you can find nice handwriting & good spellings / punctuation / grammar, include that prominently in the pack!
Hi Capers

As Etienne is away :wink: I thought I'd sneak in a question on that last point.

It seems to me that it is too easy for panel members to overlook good pieces of work in the few moments that they have to look at books.

I suggested that parents put in "sticky-notes" to at least try to draw these items to the panel's attention. Etienne thinks it will only make panel members feel that they are "being led", and encourage them to look elsewhere! (One of our very rare disagreements, I might add! :D )

How do you recommend that parents make good work prominent when presenting it?

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now