Oversubscribed or not?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worried in whitstable

Oversubscribed or not?

Post by worried in whitstable »

I have an appeal next week for a place at a foundation school in Kent. The paperwork came through with a standard letter from headmaster stating that their reason for opposing appeal was because school's roll is currently higher than capacity and therefore they musn't exceed an intake of 120.

Having spoken to the LEA they reckon that the school has about 28 places and there are aprox 55 appeals to be heard. The letter also goes on to state that they want to make sure that anyone admitted can keep up with the pace of grammar school (fair enough).

My question though is whether we need to address the first question of oversubcription at the appeal or should we solely focus on evidence of academic achieved and extenuating circs? I'm a bit confused as the school must have been aware that they weren't oversubscribed when this letter was written. Do you they just mean that if all the appeals were allowed they would then be oversubscribed?
capers123

Re: Oversubscribed or not?

Post by capers123 »

The school I hear to appeals for gets allocated 120 pupils by the LEA. They know that they can fit 32 in each classroom, therefore can take 128. Now, some children will drop out as they get offered places elsewhere - private & state (and win appeals elsewhere) and the school then offers more places.

I'm impressed by "The letter also goes on to state that they want to make sure that anyone admitted can keep up with the pace of grammar school". Occasionally parents don't think of this, and it is worth pointing out.
My question though is whether we need to address the first question of oversubscription"
I'd mention it in passing and not make a big thing about it - the panel will be aware of it, and may not like having statistics thrown in their face. Possibly the best thing to do is have the stats with you, ask them if they would like you to talk about them, then sigh with relief when they say 'no' (and they'll do the same).
I'm a bit confused as the school must have been aware that they weren't oversubscribed when this letter was written. Do you they just mean that if all the appeals were allowed they would then be oversubscribed?
Yes, they were at official admittance capacity when they wrote the letter, but may be able to take more. They would be oversubscribed if all got in, and there would be nothing they could do about it - but, of course, they'd get more money and might be able to cope (but lack of classrooms would be interesting). That's partly why only so many will succeed.

Oh, and biggest tip - be nice to the panel. It is scary to some (I've seen lots of parents in tears, both male & female) but I always try to relax the parents, natter about musical abilities of the child (which I know a bit about , and the parents tend to chat more freely about) - even though it's normally irrelevant to the appeal! We try to be as nice as possible and give you as much time as you need (but we can get fed up after 40 minutes of going round in circles).

Good luck.

Capers

Good luck.
Capers
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

To worried in Whitstable,

I don't Know if you have had your appeal yet, but I suspect that it is BC. If it is then the school is not oversubscribed. We had ours yesterday and and lets hope it is good news for us both. The whole thing has been so stressfull. Lots of boys who passed have been given BC as their second choice because the SL boys is apparently heavily oversubscribed this year. I know lots of the above boys are appealing for SL instead. I believe that many girls who were expected to pass this year failed on the maths paper. There are spaces at the SL girls for this reason I think.

I Know exactly what you are going through and sincerely wish you and your daughter well
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

To W of W again

Have just read your post again and should have put "wish your daughter OR SON well" as you didn't specify. Apologies for that.