Year 8 entry appeal.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capers123

Year 8 entry appeal.

Post by capers123 »

I heard an appeal for entry into Y8 today.

The test sat was not an 11+. It was a series of 4 tests - English, Maths, Science and Foreign Language. These were all curriculum based, so tutoring would not be particularly advantageous. They were taken on a computer, rather than on paper.

The exam was also sat by existing pupils in Y7, and their score was used as the benchmark.

The first 8 questions of each paper set the level for the remainder of the test, although this was not emphasised to pupils / applicants (hey - think in the mind of an 11 / 12 year old "if I do badly in the first 8 questions, the rest of the test will be dead easy").

Several other children also took the exam, including some who had unsuccessful appeals last year - some of whom got in this year.
Capers

Post by Guest »

Sounds really interesting, as a parent whose son missed by one mark and who's appeal failed with a cr*ppy excuse from the panel (excuse my French)!! I would be very interested in what routes can be made available for Year 8 entry. Probably nothing like that to happen to the Grammars in the North West Kent area though!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now