Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:03 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 70
Hi, hope this is right place for this question.

Getting in a fantastic muddle about where we'll be living by September 2013. I've posted previously about currently living in Berkshire, but potentially moving to Gloucestershire during this year - and consequently have put my poor DD through two lots of 11+ - please don't judge - already feel awful :(

It now looks as though the move might be to Buckinghamshire instead. Could the timing be any worse???
DD passed 11+ for Gloucestershire, still waiting for Berkshire results. If we end up in Buckinghamshire, will she have to sit the 11+ a third time to be considered for one of the GSs? Or would we appeal on basis that she has already shown she is GS standard (obvs Berks results pending)?

Or shall i just GIVE UP until i know where we'll be living?! Head about to explode - thank you for any advice as always. BL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
Sorry to say, BaileyLane, but Bucks haven't previously accepted an alternative 11+ result.

The problem is that 11+ results from elsewhere are rarely comparable - the format, standardisation and cohort could be quite different.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 70
Thanks for your reply, Etienne. Can see why this would be the case.

So, if we moved into Bucks in, say, 6 months, would we just have to knock her opportunity to go to a GS on the head?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
Not necessarily. You would have to ask for her to be allowed to take the test late, once you have proof of the move. (Moving into the area has always been a valid reason, I think.)

If successful, there will probably be one or two grammar schools still with vacancies. Otherwise you would have to appeal for a place.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:44 pm
Posts: 357
We had to move to Marlow by March 2012 in order to be considered for second round allocations to start in September 2012.

I also had to show my mother's medical records, proof from solicitors and estate agents that I was trying to move in order for Bucks CC to allow my son to be a late sitter in February. The council quite rightly made 100% sure that we were really moving.

Me telling them I was moving in June/July would have meant that he would not have been allocated a school and run the risk of getting no GS in Bucks. So unless you are applying for a school that is generally all offered, you may find that even if you get a late sitting and get the qualification score, you may still end up without a GS!

The hoops were many, varied, and the whole thing cost a fortune when I ended up waiting to sell a house in Bedfordshire, whilst renting in Marlow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 70
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate your time x


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016