AGGS Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
themis

AGGS Appeal

Post by themis »

Hello, I am new to this forum, so please be paitient and apologies in advance as i am not familiar with the abbreviations used.

My daughter sat the AGGS (also stretford & sale) and found out she passed, exceeding the cut off mark.

The problem: We are not Trafford residents, i made enquires with trafford LEA (TLEA) in June 2011 and was told there were no primary scool places in the vicinity i was going to move to. The lady i spoke to was unhelful and found her sharp and discourteous. i was then left with the dilema of what to do, either i make the move with no prmary school place, look at home schooling or stay put.

I was put through to a lady in the LEA ( only today have i discovered her job title, shes a famililes and something or another officer) I had expalined the situation and she advised i register my interest for home schooling. i spoke to the home schooling officer and wrote an email reiterating the conversation ( only now i have discovered he never sent a written reply only by phone). i expalined the dilema of residency to each person i contacted at trafford LEA and they seemed clueless passing me around to different people etc...

I was told ny the home ed officer that i should nearer the time coact him and he would issue a letter confirming that i have alreadyregistred an interest and this should suffice.

It wasnt until a few weeks ago i spoke to admissions at stretford gram, that she informed me that i was wrongly advised by TLEA and if i moved in to the trafford area the LEA were obliged to find me a place (the lea never mentioned this!)

I again have been calling TLEA & AGGS i find the whole system confusing. The LEA is not helpful at all, nor even apologetic for misadvising me, the home ed officer i was lasing with has left and he has not left any letter in the file he mentioned. ( his succesor has emaild him, but he has not replied as of yet).

AGGS have said the deadline to move was before the 15 oct (my uncle has been in hosp since the 20 sep in a critical condition and passed away on the last week, my head has been all over the place) I cannot get a clear answer from AGGS, they are sugesting i move to the area but there are no assurances that ill get a place. round 1 of their process will go to the 174 girls who live nearest to the school (not 8 mile catchment) and that have placed AGGs 1st on their CAF. she said its unlikely that it may go to 2nd round ( it didnt last year, but some years it does) but if 2nd round applies then the same process will apply distance nearest.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can i appeal to some one? i am furious that i was willing to move lat year but the LEA told me there were no places. Now the lea are stating that i didnt ask if there were places in other areas, surely it was their responsibility to tell me!

Any proffesional advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Etienne

Re: AGGS Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Sorry to hear what a difficult time you've had. I'm afraid moving in from out of area can be fraught with difficulties.

You can try making a formal complaint to the council about the standard of service you received - but if the school is responsible for its own admissions, it won't be responsible for any shortcomings on the part of the LA.

I've had a look at the school website, and the admissions policy dated March 2012 does draw attention to 15th October.

You can appeal for a place at the school when you're formally refused. This would give you an opportunity to explain briefly your circumstances, but you would also need to focus on reasons for wanting a place at this particular school.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot say what your chances at appeal would be, but I'm afraid it's a fact that most appeals will not be successful - not least because all sorts of factors might affect the outcome, some of which could be completely outside your control.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... school#c20
Etienne
themis

Post by themis »

Thankyou for your reply.

I have called TLEA & AGGS and am not getting anywhere! Theres no point in creating unnecessary stress and work complaining to TLEA, firstly i do not recall the lady i spoke to, as it was over a year ago and secondly it will not make any difference as the policy is set by AGGS. In addition to this the man who i spoke to in the ed sect has left and my file is missing!! the only proof i have is the email i wrote to him (i have already forwarded it on to AGGS).

Im assuming i will have to lodge an appeal and gather as much evidence to back up my statement. Do you know how many appeals have been succesful in the past and how many girls have been offered places on a second round?

Thanks again x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have called TLEA & AGGS and am not getting anywhere! Theres no point in creating unnecessary stress and work complaining to TLEA, firstly i do not recall the lady i spoke to, as it was over a year ago and secondly it will not make any difference as the policy is set by AGGS. In addition to this the man who i spoke to in the ed sect has left and my file is missing!! the only proof i have is the email i wrote to him (i have already forwarded it on to AGGS).
I agree with you. With the benefit of hindsight it helps to have everything in writing.

"Everyone should take great care in all their dealings with officialdom. When making phone calls to the admission authority, make a note of the date and time, what was said, and who you spoke to. Try to get everything confirmed in writing or by email. Keep copies of all correspondence."
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you know how many appeals have been succesful in the past and how many girls have been offered places on a second round?
I'm afraid not, but you can put the first question to the school, and the second to the LA.

Even if you start off on the phone, you may need to follow up in writing, and it's important to be very specific about the information required. For example:

• Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 I am writing to request the following information with regard to the XYZ School:
    a) the number of admission appeals heard for entry into year 7 in each of the last five years, and
    b) the number of those appeals that were successful in each year.

If you do not hold the above data, I should be grateful if you could advise who does.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Name:
    Address:
    email:

(They have a maximum of 20 working days in which to respond, but won't necessarily need that long.)
Etienne
themis

Post by themis »

Thankyou Etienne, I greatly appreciate your help.

I have emailed admissions and now am anxiously waiting for a reply :mrgreen:

I followed the thread you linked... im shocked that there appeal process is so tight. It seems that some of the forum members have made strong arguments and provided a lot of supporting documentation and still they have been refused :( I havent begun the process yet and im stressed already LOL
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I can answer part of your question
themis wrote:Do you know how many appeals have been succesful in the past and how many girls have been offered places on a second round?
2009 2 appeals granted - no further info
2010 1 appeal granted - no further info
2011 2 appeals granted - no further info
2012 4 appeals granted - all were for qualified girls from within the 8 mile catchment area

On average AGGS has 40-50 appeals each year.

I hope this information helps, also look at the determineddaddy thread as he moved into catchment and still experienced problems.