Kent appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
U400JB9

Kent appeal

Post by U400JB9 »

I know the answers are on here somewhere, but I`m a bit tired and emotional.

We had a suprise fail today, her teachers had expected her to pass. She was a level 5 student in year 5.

I`m not sure whether to appeal or not BUT if someone could answer a question for me:

do I have to put a Grammar School down on my CAF if I want to appeal?

If yes, can I put our Plan B school first to ensure a place there, and the Grammars 2nd and 3rd.

I really should know the answers to this as I`ve appealed before, but appear to have blocked the whole event from my memory. :oops:

Thank you
yoyo123

Re: Kent appeal

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this might help, sorry to hear your news.

yoyo
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

UB - thanks for asking the above questions. I've had similar thoughts.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

PC was sorry to read you got a no too.

We`ve appealed,successfully,before. Different circumstances. And I think we stand a good chance at Plan B school.

I just can`t get past the awful disappointment I feel for her.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

yoyo123 wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals

this might help, sorry to hear your news.

yoyo
Thank you.....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So sorry to hear your news.
do I have to put a Grammar School down on my CAF if I want to appeal?
Usually, yes, because you can only appeal if you have applied and been formally refused.
Alternatively it ought to be possible to do a late change of preference (and then be refused):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but this might raise doubts at appeal about how committed you are to wanting a place at the grammar school.
If yes, can I put our Plan B school first to ensure a place there, and the Grammars 2nd and 3rd.
There's no need.

If you put grammar schools 1st and 2nd, and your Plan B school 3rd - and if you're not eligible for one of the grammar schools - then your 3rd preference effectively becomes your 1st preference. You won't be disadvantaged.

An appeal panel may or may not have sight of the CAF. Again, it might raise doubts if they should see that you've put a grammar school below your Plan B.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Thank you Etienne

Just to clarify, for my jaded brain, Plan B school will never know we didn`t put them first?

(Its a church school, we don`t go to church but she goes to a strict church primary,we have a letter from the vicar. AND she`s taking the entrance test there to cover all bases :oops: ).

No offence meant, but I was kinda hoping I was done with needing advice :oops: , guess you`re stuck with me for a bit longer. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Plan B school will never know we didn`t put them first?
The allocations are co-ordinated by the LA so that the school doesn't know about the order of preference.
guess you`re stuck with me for a bit longer.
:? :D
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Having been positively stalked by HT this morning, we will be appealing.

DD bombed all three papers spectacularly, HT says her work showed a level 5b in May last year, and her CATS ( SATS?) show a high achiever. Something went terribly wrong on the test days and basically she will work with us on appeal as she is determined DD get the grammar place she deserves.

I will be back to put together my case....for now I need to give my DD much TLC.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Great that you have such strong HT support and excellent levels as evidence.

Good luck with appeal, have everything crossed for you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now