Kent test - so near yet so far

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tonbridgemum

Re: Kent test - so near yet so far

Post by tonbridgemum »

Villagedad. Really sorry to hear your news. I know you and your son have put all the necessary work into the 11+. Gutted you havent got the right result.
I think you should appeal as clearly your son would thrive at a grammar however I have a memory of you looking at Bennett and it being an option?? Is it still? Why not have another look around? remember their results are as good as TWGSB and the pastoral care is good too ...(something I dont rate at TWGSB from first hand).
I wish we could all move away from the assumption Grammar schools are all better for every child - it does depend on the child. I have had three children at three different schools, local comp, super selective and TWGSB. One more to go, hoping for Bennett. have really tried to suit the school to the child!! Anyway, good luck with your appeal - you have a really good chance. :)
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Village Dad ...I am so sorry to hear this.. know how absolutely gutted that you feel because we were exactly in the same position two years ago. One point away but seemed like a million miles. Ds had two great scores but one poor one. Our borderline , untutored dd got her results today and whilst she did not pass she got a 'high fail' so I am properly kicking myself tonight. :roll:

It is very important to take time to think but in the short term I would urge you to put TWGSB on your scaf to give yourself the opportunity to appeal after allocation day. You might want to consider Skinners too....with four potential selections to make I was stuck after 2 so if you are in the same boat it is worth filling in those boxes to give you the earliest chance of success at appeal. I am more than happy to give you any info that I have on boys gs appeals at any time..... I have also appealed at Bennett too. I have relatives there and cannot praise their pastoral care system highly enough.

All the best to you and your ds
Tigger
x
Tea For Two

Post by Tea For Two »

Sorry if I am hijacking your thread Village Dad but it seemed an appropriate title.

And 400 overall is a fabulous score. It's our first experience with the 11+ and it is proving to be a frustrating experience.

Our DS passed with 408. NVR 135 VR 140 and Maths 133.

Bizarrely he is now at level 6 in maths!

So he has a great score, was untutored, state school, and he still feels knocked back!

We will put Judd down recognising that it is a very slim chance he'll get in and will appeal with HT letter which he agreed to without being asked. :)
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Tigger - sorry you have had disappointment for a second time - remember what a rollarcoaster it was for you a couple of years ago... :cry: It doesnt get any easier. Hope your DD ok. TM
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Many thanks everyone, really appreciate your support

We are going to ask for opinions on how successful an appeal woul dbe both here and outside. I may also call on one or two of you for advice via PM's / calls if that's ok. This is our first time so any advice would be welcomed with regards to appeals etc..

Well done to those who passed :D and commiserations to those whose DC's didn't :(

Hopefully it will all work out in the end for all our DC's because we care about their education :D

Thanks all
Villagedad
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Dear all
If anyone has first hand experience (or knows of close friends/family etc) of a successful non-selective appeal at Tundbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys (TWGSB) please PM me, as we need as much background knowledge as possible on how to best frame the appeal.

It needs to be a "non-selective" appeal at TWGSB (ie didn't pass the Kent test by a mark or two, but got in on appeal) as I know there are other "selective" appeals for this school each year i.e. those who have passed but usually live too far away on first allocation of places.

Many thanks to all, appreciate your help :)
Villagedad
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Villagedad wrote:Dear all
If anyone has first hand experience (or knows of close friends/family etc) of a successful non-selective appeal at Tundbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys (TWGSB) please PM me, as we need as much background knowledge as possible on how to best frame the appeal.

It needs to be a "non-selective" appeal at TWGSB (ie didn't pass the Kent test by a mark or two, but got in on appeal) as I know there are other "selective" appeals for this school each year i.e. those who have passed but usually live too far away on first allocation of places.

Villagedad
I am not sure, but I think you may need to look at both types of appeal. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. Once you haven't qualified through the test, even if then on appeal you are assessed as suitable for grammar, you are then in the same "pot" as those that failed on over-subscription, ie distance, and you have the second hurdle to overcome.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

It is likely that they will have a group first stage appeal next Spring and then after that they move onto individual cases a day or so afterwards. I liked the group stage ....lots of great questions. Village Dad , we had a non qualifying appeal for this school. Would be happy to try and answer any questions that you may have

All the best
Tigger
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

dadofkent wrote:
Villagedad wrote:Dear all

Villagedad
I am not sure, but I think you may need to look at both types of appeal. No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. Once you haven't qualified through the test, even if then on appeal you are assessed as suitable for grammar, you are then in the same "pot" as those that failed on over-subscription, ie distance, and you have the second hurdle to overcome.
Thanks dadofkent. We live 1.5 miles as the crow flies from TWGSB so hopefully at least that will go in our favour ?
dennis

Post by dennis »

Everyone should note that Kent have changed their distance criteria for TW Grammar for Boys for this admission. After the 3 miles radius it is skewed towards north kent. Dennis
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now