Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

Re: Kent test - so near yet so far

Post by Villagedad »

Etienne wrote:Hi

I've sent you a message.
Thanks Etienne just read and yes am in touch with that poster.

Cheers
Villagedad
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Etienne wrote:I would like to see:
  • • predicted SATs levels of 5a/5b
    • something 'extra' about the case (e.g. primary maths challenge/attendance at a maths masterclass/gifted & talented in maths)
    • very high standardised scores in CATs or similar NFER tests, or from an educational psychologist
    • good reasons for wanting a place at the school in question

- but that's just my opinion which doesn't count! As we often say: the only opinion that matters is that of your particular appeal panel.
Hi Etienne

If our DS reached level 5's in maths and writing by the appeal date (e.g. May) but only level 4a in reading, would this change things? Or have you seen people win non qualification appeals with a lower score in one subject?

Thoughts from others welcomed :)

Best
Villagedad
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Depends where in the county you are. DS scored 4a for writing in the official SAT's which had to be shown to evidence the 5 for Maths in our late appeal. Our appeal was upheld so it can't have deflected from the other evidence :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi Village Dad
I'm sorry I can't answer your question about 4a in reading and whether this would not be what a TWGSB panel would want to see ..... have you managed to get the bottom of what the guidance is that TWGSB Kent panels receive in academic evidence? That would be revealing.

However, I thought maybe it would be worth unpicking what "reading" means if you did in the end feel that the school evidence and school NC assessment was weak in this respect.

Assessing reading seems to be one of those things that everyone will disagree on forever. The NC score your school is giving could be based either on old KS2 reading comprehension papers, or on an APP score (assessing pupil progress - a great big grid on which they cobble together loads of things they know about your child's reading and hazard a guess under various different headings where to place your child). You could ask on what it is based, and get copies of the evidence (e.g. old papers he's done, or the APP grid) and work now on those areas which the school consider are not level 5.

Then you could consider the alternative evidence if for some reason the school assessment is still weak at the time of the appeal. For example, Ed Psych assessed reading age, and Ed Psych assessed listening comprehension.

If his reading age is impressive, his listening comprehension comprehension is impressive, and his writing is strong, this should give a school the confidence that, if taught to do so, your son should be capable of putting all this together and getting good grades in the future on written comprehension exercises.

Maybe an ed psych who is looking at potential versus achievement can help you out with this?

Did you ever get hold of Katel? I really would have loved her to tell her appeal story on here as I felt that her's was the stuff that Kent appeals should be made of but we never heard from her beyond her initial decision to appeal and when she was considering getting an Ed Psych opinion.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Presumably you would also hope that an independent panel would see that they are being a bit nitpicky if they let an NC reading level affect their decision for a child who got 141 in Verbal Reasoning. It would surely be the maths they were honing in on for this particular appeal. But then again, I suppose you are trying to impress over and above other appeal candidates who may have similar anomalies in maths, so the best evidence you can gather of great strength in every conceivably "measurable area" relating to numeracy, literacy, science(?), VR, NVR and maths is presumably a "good thing".
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

our DS reached level 5's in maths and writing by the appeal date (e.g. May) but only level 4a in reading, would this change things?
It's really up to your individual panel .......
Or have you seen people win non qualification appeals with a lower score in one subject?
On a number of occasions, yes - although it was in a situation where the 11+ was VR only. Parents conceded there was a relative weakness in English, but argued that their children had exceptional strengths in maths/science, and the format of the 11+ didn't allow them to show the full range of their ability.
Mystery wrote:have you managed to get the bottom of what the guidance is that TWGSB Kent panels receive in academic evidence?
Panels are meant to be independent and 'unfettered', so I'd be very surprised if the guidance given to them went beyond providing factual information, e.g. explaining what CATs and NC levels etc. are, or saying what proportion of children enter grammar school with level 5s.
mystery wrote:It would surely be the maths they were honing in on for this particular appeal ............ But then again, I suppose you are trying to impress over and above other appeal candidates who may have similar anomalies in maths, so the best evidence you can gather of great strength in every conceivably "measurable area" relating to numeracy, literacy, science(?), VR, NVR and maths is presumably a "good thing".
That's how I would approach it (the more evidence, the better!) - but what any particular panel might want to focus on is difficult to predict.
Etienne
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Presumably you would also hope that an independent panel would see that they are being a bit nitpicky if they let an NC reading level affect their decision for a child who got 141 in Verbal Reasoning. It would surely be the maths they were honing in on for this particular appeal. But then again, I suppose you are trying to impress over and above other appeal candidates who may have similar anomalies in maths, so the best evidence you can gather of great strength in every conceivably "measurable area" relating to numeracy, literacy, science(?), VR, NVR and maths is presumably a "good thing".
Thanks all

We feel confident in a level 5a/b in maths and 5b/c in writing by next May (the possible appeal date), it's reading comprehension that's always been our DS's achilles' heel :(

We are working on this in a kumon-style way, a little and often to hopefully bring up his skill in anticipating SAT's comprehension style questions. Any tips welcome :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do all the past SATS papers - there aren't that many are there? See my post above - how is school measuring it? How will they measure it before they provide you with their final measures and predictions before you go into the appeal?
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

With a bit of luck the actual Sats results could be back by the time of your appeal and your school can confirm them in a letter. :)
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Do all the past SATS papers - there aren't that many are there? See my post above - how is school measuring it? How will they measure it before they provide you with their final measures and predictions before you go into the appeal?
I need to find out..., will report back :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now