I wouldn't necessarily look to the Consortium for a clear statement of your rights!
Section 94 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 clearly states: "The governing body of a foundation or voluntary aided school shall make arrangements for enabling the parent of a child to appeal against any decision made by or on behalf of the governing body refusing the child admission to the school."
If the governors of LGS refuse your application for a place, you are legally entitled to appeal against their decision.
If the governors of St. B's refuse your application for a place, then again, you are legally entitled to appeal against their decision.
The issue tends to crop up every year. See this thread
Let me be clear - you have a legal right of appeal for any school you applied to on your CAF, if you have been refused.
(I'm assuming the consortium is not operating a Bucks-type system where a single appeal against non-qualification has been possible.)
Slough mum raised this issue with the ombudsman last year. See this thread.
As far as I can tell from this post, the ombudsman upheld her complaint, and the school was told to arrange an appeal.
If the situation is confusing, it's because the consortium appears to be making it so!
I sent in my appeal letter to St B and Lgs. Lgs was our first choice and second was St.B, as listed on the CAF.
I have today received a call from ST.B that they cannot accept my appeal as my daughter took the test at Lgs and that was her first choice Grammar school. I was under the impression that we could apply to all the schools on the CAF. Could someone please shed some light on this.
Interesting that they phoned, rather than putting it in writing!
Strictly speaking, I don't think you have any right of appeal until after 1st March. The fact that the consortium allows an appeal to the 1st preference school before 1st March is something they have chosen to do.
I suggest you re-submit your appeal to your second preference school after 1st March with a request that they acknowledge its receipt in writing. (If they ring you up saying "We can't accept it," tell them you wish to have their refusal in writing because you intend to refer the matter to the ombudsman. If they refuse to send you a letter, tell them that you have noted their reluctance to put anything in writing, and will be drawing the ombudsman's attention to this as well!)
If you need our help, we will advise you what to do next.