appeal for slough school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
akhan1221

appeal for slough school

Post by akhan1221 »

Hi can anyone pls help me. my child did not achieve as well as she could in her 11+. How will I go about appealing for schools in slough.?If can advice me.Thank you
Etienne

Re: appeal for slough school

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

In order to appeal, you have to be formally refused - and this won't happen before the beginning of March. At that point you should (in theory) be told what to do if you want to appeal.

Have a careful look at our Q&As to help prepare in the meantime. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(If one of the schools in the consortium should tell you that you can only appeal to the school where the test was sat, don't believe it! You will be entitled to appeal for any school for which you've applied and been refused.)
Etienne
SloughDad

Post by SloughDad »

Etienne wrote: (If one of the schools in the consortium should tell you that you can only appeal to the school where the test was sat, don't believe it! You will be entitled to appeal for any school for which you've applied and been refused.)
I have read the above on various pages of this site but I have not come across any formal confirmation of this on any of the Slough Grammar schools or local council websites.

I am worried that if we get the preferences wrong on the CAF form (eg put LGS first) it will compromise an appeal at say St. Bernards where there may be possibly a better chance of a successful appeal.

But if, as you suggest, we can appeal at all schools listed on our CAF then the order of preferences are less of a concern.

Can you provide a link to where I can get formal confirmation of your above quote.

Thanks
SloughDad
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi SloughDad

I wouldn't necessarily look to the Consortium for a clear statement of your rights! :?

Section 94 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 clearly states: "The governing body of a foundation or voluntary aided school shall make arrangements for enabling the parent of a child to appeal against any decision made by or on behalf of the governing body refusing the child admission to the school."

If the governors of LGS refuse your application for a place, you are legally entitled to appeal against their decision.

If the governors of St. B's refuse your application for a place, then again, you are legally entitled to appeal against their decision.

The issue tends to crop up every year. See this thread.
Let me be clear - you have a legal right of appeal for any school you applied to on your CAF, if you have been refused.

(I'm assuming the consortium is not operating a Bucks-type system where a single appeal against non-qualification has been possible.)

Slough mum raised this issue with the ombudsman last year. See this thread.

As far as I can tell from this post, the ombudsman upheld her complaint, and the school was told to arrange an appeal.

If the situation is confusing, it's because the consortium appears to be making it so!
sobnan wrote:I sent in my appeal letter to St B and Lgs. Lgs was our first choice and second was St.B, as listed on the CAF.
I have today received a call from ST.B that they cannot accept my appeal as my daughter took the test at Lgs and that was her first choice Grammar school. I was under the impression that we could apply to all the schools on the CAF. Could someone please shed some light on this.
Etienne wrote:Interesting that they phoned, rather than putting it in writing!

Strictly speaking, I don't think you have any right of appeal until after 1st March. The fact that the consortium allows an appeal to the 1st preference school before 1st March is something they have chosen to do.

I suggest you re-submit your appeal to your second preference school after 1st March with a request that they acknowledge its receipt in writing. (If they ring you up saying "We can't accept it," tell them you wish to have their refusal in writing because you intend to refer the matter to the ombudsman. If they refuse to send you a letter, tell them that you have noted their reluctance to put anything in writing, and will be drawing the ombudsman's attention to this as well!)

If you need our help, we will advise you what to do next.
Etienne
akhan1221

Post by akhan1221 »

Thank you Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now