Appeal on grounds of gender discrimination?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nearly there

Appeal on grounds of gender discrimination?

Post by nearly there »

This is a general query on behalf of someone whose daughter has not passed outright.

If an appeal is necessary, is it possible to argue that had the 11+ not had clear gender bias, their daughter would have achieved the qualifying standard, given that boys and girls would be expected to perform equally well on a fair test of ability?

My DD goes to a mixed grammar school where for the last 3 years there have been considerably more boys than girls pass the 11+ exam. The current Yr 7 has, I understand, approximately 48 girls and 72 boys.
I don't have the figures for this year's 11 plussers, the results came out last week, but it is apparently "boy heavy" again.

Doesn't the school have a duty to ensure that boys and girls of equal ability are treated fairly?
There are no other grammar schools within 50 miles, so no single-gender options.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
bromley mum

Re: Appeal on grounds of gender discrimination?

Post by bromley mum »

I don't know which area you are from. I would have thought that at age 11 the tests in English, Maths and Reasoning would not be able to have a gender bias. Apart from the fact that more boys get in, do you have any other evidence? Do you have breakdown of boys and girls who sat the tests. Maybe more boys do, for whatever the reason.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

From the Equality and Human Rights Commission:
Examples of discriminatory criteria might include:

Setting fixed proportions of boys or girls in a co-educational school.
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advi ... s-a-pupil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For appeal purposes it would be much better to focus on academic evidence/reasons for wanting a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Many thanks for your replies. It looks like that approach would be a non-starter- I'll let her know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now