Do I appeal on this ground?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
proudmom

Do I appeal on this ground?

Post by proudmom »

This forum has been a support to me since the 11+exams, hope it would be able to help me through appeals as well. I have sent a message to appeals box.
Thanks in advance
Etienne

Re: Do I appeal on this ground?

Post by Etienne »

Hello, proudmom.

Thanks for the background information, but could you ask a question on here (without being too specific)? - It makes it easier for me to respond, and any other readers will have a bit of a clue what I'm talking about!
Etienne
proudmom

Post by proudmom »

Thanks for the reply Etienne.

My daughter failed to make it to the qualification round of HBS. The comprehension part of the English paper as well as words ( DD could make out a few) of the VR paper was same as in the Birmingham sticky. I was unaware -as an irregular visitor in the forum (until I discovered the stickies and discovered the potential of the site). As this information was in public domain but many DDs like mine were disadvantaged, would this be a ground for appeal?

What would be of even more concern is if the mathematics paper was not marked due to disadvantaged English marks (as school website mentioned initially). I have emailed the school regarding markings, but have not received reply so far....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

would this be a ground for appeal?
You could mention your concerns very briefly, but to be honest your grounds for appeal should be alternative evidence of high ability, and reasons for wanting a place at the school in question.

Have a look at the Q&As. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
proudmom

Post by proudmom »

She is currently working at 5b in English, but I can confirm again during teacher meeting in November. She has qualified for all other 11+tests -including SW Herts, Tiffin and slough- but HBS was our 1st choice as it is closer to where we live, in addition to its excellent credentials. So she seems to be an able girl.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The point being made in B11 is that academic evidence needs to be as wide-ranging as possible.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A degree of caution is needed with regard to other 11+ tests, not least because it is rarely possible to make a direct comparison.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
proudmom

Post by proudmom »

Thanks Etienne.

I shall try to obtain as much support from the school as possible. She is going to an excellent state primary and as she is the in the top set, this shouldn't be a problem at all. This will have to wait until after half term though.

In an appeal do you think the unfairness gained through same questions being online where numerous people had access to would be muted? It is after all hundreds of children of of almost same ability- though some are super able and my DD isn't one among them- competing against each other and missing by the narrowest of margins? The school has only 93 seats and she isn't in the top 300 but if the other papers have not been marked due to low scores in one, this would be a biased result: hence my e-mail to HBS.

The reason for this query at this early stage is to know if I have to name the school in the CAF even if they have said her name has not been submitted to the Local authority for consideration in the allocation of places.

You responses are already calming down a highly self-deprecating mom.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid it's actually quite difficult for an appeal panel to do much about this sort of general issue, because it's impossible to prove which children were affected and exactly what would have happened to their scores. (And sadly there's no such decision as 'We'll give the benefit of the doubt"! :? )

See also 'One further point" (maladministration) at the end of C2:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
proudmom

Post by proudmom »

You are right Etienne. It would be difficult to prove. Informing the school if they are not already aware/ raising public awareness regarding maladministration seems to be best course of action. Although why a recycled paper was used by CEM for a prestigious school like HBS is beyond my comprehension!! :shock:
proudmom

Post by proudmom »

Etienne,
I wrote a letter to the school informing of the problem. They have replied back quoting one generic word in the evidence supplied (print out from relevant pages of the forum), ignoring the other words which would indicate the very specific event mentioned in the comprehension passage.
The school pointed out that the evidence is a 'single parent's/ tutors summary of a child's reported aspects of a paper as remembered after the examination. There is no indication of accuracy ..........There is no evidence to suggest that there was information that this test was to be used in any other school or at any other time'.
They however go on to mention that the evidence has been sent to CEM for their investigation.
I have drafted another letter in reply. Would this case be classified as maladministration?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now