Frummy-Problem over test administration

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frummy

Frummy-Problem over test administration

Post by frummy »

Hello,

My child sat the 11+ in September. He is blind in one eye and isn't always accurate with a pencil. Arrangements were made for him to have an enlarged answer sheet for his VR (2 A3 sized sheets). When he came out of the test, he said that he had had been given the same sized desk as the other children. He said he could not lie his question and answer sheet side by side and that he had been folding his answer paper forward and back through out the test to find questions and spaces to mark for answers. I think that his VR score reflects this and he will, almost certainly, not be offered a place at our local Grammar. (VR was usually his second strongest subject after Maths, which he did very well in).

On the Monday after the test, as advised by the exam body, I wrote to the test administrator to explain what had happened but they replied; explaining that this was standard practice and that they did not think that there was a problem. I wrote once more (again, very politely) explaining that I honestly felt that this might jeopardize his chances of success. I asked them to reconsider. I did not receive a reply and did not contact them again.

What do you think? Do you think that I have grounds for a successful appeal? I am in Essex.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Etienne

Re: Frummy-Problem over test administration

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

You should certainly mention what happened, but an appeal will need to be based on:
a) alternative evidence of high ability
b) reasons for wanting a place at the school

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
frummy

Post by frummy »

Thank you Etienne.
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Frummy, if your DC's problem is sufficient to amount to a disability, there is an argument they have failed in their duty to make a reasonable adjustment for it - ie they gave a larger paper but not a desk big enough to hold it properly. If so that is a breach of the Equality Act. I don't know how you pursue a remedy, but I assume it would be separate to an appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

MrsB wrote:I don't know how you pursue a remedy, but I assume it would be separate to an appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I've explained -
Tell the panel what happened.
Then move on to:
a) alternative evidence of high ability
b) reasons for wanting a place at the school
Etienne
frummy

Post by frummy »

Hello again,

I have two more questions:

I read somewhere that cognitive tests like the Weschler are not always useful for parents when an appeal is lodged. Does this mean that sometimes people are disappointed with the scores or that the panel do not take these reports seriously? What sort of score might impress the judges- would 130+ be required?

Also, clearly, lots of us think that our children should have a place at grammar school but what sort of grounds would win an appeal? Would they be, perhaps, something along the lines of your child being so strong in a particular area that they are unlikely to find peers of a similar ability in another school (backed up with evidence to show that this is likely to be the case)?

Many thanks again.

Frummy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I read somewhere that cognitive tests like the Weschler are not always useful for parents when an appeal is lodged. Does this mean that sometimes people are disappointed with the scores
The Weschler tests are very reputable, but it's obviously a possibility that your child may not get the scores you were hoping for.
or that the panel do not take these reports seriously?
Panels do have a duty to consider any relevant evidence properly - but it's up to the individual panel just how much weight they give to any particular piece of evidence.
What sort of score might impress the judges- would 130+ be required?
This will depend on local circumstances. If it's a superselective school where entry is fiercely competitive, for example, it would probably be advantageous to have results towards the very top of the range.
Also, clearly, lots of us think that our children should have a place at grammar school but what sort of grounds would win an appeal? Would they be, perhaps, something along the lines of your child being so strong in a particular area that they are unlikely to find peers of a similar ability in another school (backed up with evidence to show that this is likely to be the case)?
There are one or two comments in the Q&As about what might or might not be a strong argument.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, it's impossible to be very specific about this, because it depends on other factors (e.g. how strong a case the admission authority puts forward to resist further admissions, perhaps how strong other appellants' cases appear in relation to yours).
Etienne
frummy

Post by frummy »

Thank you for your very helpful reply Etienne. I have another argument about why I believe my son should attend the Grammar School. It relates to family circumstances and might compromise my anonymity if I state it on the forum. Would it be possible to ask you about this in a private message?

Kind regards,

Frummy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, no - but see the link at the top of the Appeals page: 'Appeals Box for confidential information'.

Questions/answers would have to be on the forum, but it's usually possible to talk in very general terms.
Etienne
frummy

Post by frummy »

Thank you Etienne. I have posted my question relating to family circumstances to the Appeals Box.

Frummy