Academic Evidence for Appeal when Home educated????

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DebP

Academic Evidence for Appeal when Home educated????

Post by DebP »

I have read through this appeal forum and the related notes - thanks really useful.

My son was in school until Easter term of year 5 so I do not have the latest sat stats for him. Now homeschooling until year 7 starts next Sept.
And I am wondering what evidence I should gather for an appeal?

We plan to relocate and he fell short by a long way from the grammar school I had in mind for him.
So I think a big part of the evidence I need at the appeal is that he does have the ability so here what I have got:

He did also sit the kent test as OOC candidate - taking all papers on one Saturday - whereas in Kent schools the papers are over two days. He passed the Kent test - overall score of 370 (pass is 360), top possible being 423.
Even though he passed his scores were lower than I expected. ( I do not think he is Super selective material but I did expect 380-390.)

SATs from school: MATHS:
end of Key stage 1: 2a. yr 3: 3c. yr 4: 4c.
SATs from school: Science
end of Key stage 1: 3. yr 3: 3b. yr 4: 3a.
HOWEVER - English has been a weakness.
I think I need hard evidence to show that he has made big progress, which I think he has.
SATs from school: English

end of Key stage 1:
English/Literacy: level 2
Reading: Level 2b
Writing 1
Yr 3: 2b
Yr 4: 3c

His birthday is END of April.

That is it for independent evidence currently to hand. Should I pay for independent assessments?

I could take current work done - will the panel be able to assess it?
I must say his work / handwriting is untidy how much would that go against him?
* He finished the Year 6 Maths Book in September.
* He has just started to learn ancient Greek - his own initiative because he is fascinated by Classics, which he has been learning with me.

I have a Masters degree and a high IQ - member of MENSA - should I say that, as intelligence is to some extent inherited and it will show he is in a family with experience of high academic achievement? Or does it just sound like pushy parent boasting?

I will need to comment on his poor performance in English in school.
I Am saying he is a clever boy who has found it hard to master the basics of English reading and writing but is now coming on very well.
*I can tell the panel I used a standard assessment tool (Burt) to assess his reading age this week and he is now reading 1 and half year above his age.
*This is not as big as many but is a massive jump from where he was. He started reading with enthusiasm about 18 months ago and is now a keen reader currently reading the Percy Jackson books.
*At the end of year 3 he had below average English Sats and abut 16 months later he passed the Kent test including a Verbal Reasoning Paper putting him within the top 20% of pupils in the county.

The Grammar School Appeal
I know my son is not suitable for the most highly selective GS.
The school - where he has not passed:
There are extenuating circumstances, I will not go into here.
The school clearly says on its website etc.. that it is proud of welcoming and helping those at the lower end of the selective intake with literacy difficulties - handwriting spelling , etc...
So these boys are part of that school group and that is why I though that school may be good for my son.

I would welcome any advice:
Feel free if you want to tell me that my son does not have a chance at appeal.
But I would really like to hear any other evidence I could present and especially if I should get independent test - what should they be.

I have read the two related threads:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5735
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 895#p60841
Etienne

Re: Academic Evidence for Appeal when Home educated????

Post by Etienne »

Well done on finding the other threads. They probably tell you more or less all you need to know, so I'll just comment on a few points.
He passed the Kent test
See B50c http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good to hear about the Kent test, though. (As well as achieving an acceptable overall score, I assume he also met the requirement for minimum individual scores?)
I could take current work done - will the panel be able to assess it?
It isn't really the role of a panel to mark/assess work. (No guarantee there'll even be a teacher on the panel with relevant experience.)
I must say his work / handwriting is untidy how much would that go against him?
It shouldn't matter. The issue is ability, not neatness.
I have a Masters degree and a high IQ - member of MENSA - should I say that, as intelligence is to some extent inherited and it will show he is in a family with experience of high academic achievement? Or does it just sound like pushy parent boasting?
I wouldn't recommend it - a similar sort of argument usually results in the 'groan factor' among panel members!
We’re not pushy parents ..... Our older child is already at grammar school, and we think little Johnnie is a lot cleverer, so that proves our case.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*I can tell the panel I used a standard assessment tool (Burt) to assess his reading age this week and he is now reading 1 and half year above his age.
This wouldn't be independent evidence.
The school clearly says on its website etc.. that it is proud of welcoming and helping those at the lower end of the selective intake with literacy difficulties - handwriting spelling , etc...
So these boys are part of that school group and that is why I though that school may be good for my son.
You need to give reasons for wanting a place, so that would be helpful.
Feel free if you want to tell me that my son does not have a chance at appeal.
No one can tell you that.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but it's harder for you to come up with the 'right' sort of evidence when your son has been out of the system.
Should I pay for independent assessments?
I suspect this is the way forward, if you can afford it. Quite apart from the problem of lacking recent independent evidence, you may find it informative as a parent.
I would really like to hear any other evidence I could present and especially if I should get independent test - what should they be.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now