11 plus appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katefarmer

11 plus appeals

Post by katefarmer »

Hello, new to this so wanting as much help/advice as possible please.. we are appealing to two grammar schools the marks we got were maths 121 verbal reasoning 122 non verbal reasoning only 103 :( our head teacher did appeal the decission but it failed our child is level 5b science 5c for reading writting and english and maths the head has advised us to appeal as our child should have passed and it is a very disappointing and unexpected result what are our chances many thanks k
Etienne

Re: 11 plus appeals

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Best to start by reading the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what are our chances?
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
katefarmer

Post by katefarmer »

Many thanks for all that information we feel much more positive about the process and hope that we can do our child proud. We are still just worried about the extremely low 103 nvr score but hope that his current level 5s will back up his academic ability.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi...are these Kent scores? I would advise you to get a copy of the Ht review as this will explain why they were unable to assess your dc as grammar suitable. This will probably be submitted by Kcc as part of the appeal and you should submit it too as evidence.
Tigger
katefarmer

Post by katefarmer »

Thank you for that advice. Yes these are the kent 11+ scores.Just out of interest with these kent test scores( nvr 103,vr 122, maths 121) and his current level 5s (we have yet to ask what his predicted scores will be but he usually moves up a level so should be level 6 by march appeal) would you consider this to be a strong case for appeal? we do not have any mitigating circumstances and both us and the head teacher cannot explain his poor nvr result :!: any comments would be very helpful many thanks.. ( he is also on the gifted and talented for science and is currently a level 5b at the end of year 5) the only things we can think of is it was his birthday the day before the test.He wears a very strong perscription of glasses so may have struggled to see some of the pattern differences in the nvr paper??He was a premature baby. so any advice on wether we submit any of these reason would be helpful thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you've read the Q&As, you'll know our advice is to underplay extenuating circumstances. Unless they're earth-shattering, probably best not even to mention them unless asked.
Etienne
katefarmer

Post by katefarmer »

Yes thats what we thought too.We will just concentrate on the academic ability many thanks..
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Katefarmer..I understand that you are trying to find a reason to give to the appeal panel for your ds underperforming on the day but I think that your best bet is, if asked, to say that you have no idea why the nvr mark is so low . We all want to have a reason for underperformance but I think that at the hearing you will fare better if you say that you simply have no idea and you can only think that he had a bad 60minutes. I would hope that the panel will understand that this is a truthful answer.I expect that panels have heard just about everything so hopefully a bit of straightforward honesty will be a breath of fresh air !
katefarmer

Post by katefarmer »

Yes thats what we think,just be honest and present the evidence of academic ability what about requesting to see the paper to see what questions he got wrong or getting it re-marked is that recommended?