Primary school appeal - difficult

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dobby

Quote from the Admissions Code:
3.26 Admission authorities are not required to maintain waiting lists for oversubscribed schools .......
I feel sure that your LA does not hold a waiting list for the year group in question, and it sounds as if the school doesn't keep one either.

Regards
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Keep going Dooby - we are all behind you hoping that 'common sense' will prevail.

Remember I do all the worrying for appeals - just focus on the evidence -
Dobby

Getting my act together!

Post by Dobby »

Thanks folks,

Lovely sunny day so I thought I'd set to work on our appeal (Monday!)

These are the figures for Sept 2007- I thought I'd use the advice about questioning why classes are gouped as they are (I know the answer and it's purely historical!) I've also got Etienne's questions about the current state of the numbers ready for the LA rep.

The pupil teacher ratio for the school is 19.2:1

R = 13 - taught as a class
Y1=19 - taught as a class
Y2=17 - taught as a class
Y3=11 - vertically grouped with y4 = 26
Y4=15
Y5=16 - vertically grouped with 6 = 31
Y6=15

The 2 children I know to be leaving are in year 5 and 6.

Better get on with it.

Dobby
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Your two children also need to be together to help integrate your foster child - I would day there are two places if two are leaving - can you get written confirmation that they have given notice?

GOOD LUCK!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dobby

I assume that the published admission number is 15?

If it can be established that someone is definitely leaving, and that the year 6 number for September ought to be 14, then the appeal should be stopped in its early stages.

Failing that, as I said before, a lot depends on the strength of the LA case, and whether there are other (strong) appeals for the same year group.

As for your own case, with the written support you have mentioned from the vicar and from social services, it sounds to me a very good one.

The very best of luck - do let us know the outcome.
Etienne
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Wishing you lots of

for your appeal today, Dobby.
Hope it goes well.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The same from me Dobby - I so hope that it works out for you.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

the best of luck to you

Cindyxx
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Good Luck!

I have been thinking of you today.

AM
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

We did the appeal today - whew!

The head teacher from the school we're appealing to turned up.

She conceded that some children are in the process of leaving the school but she has nothing in writing.

The panel asked her about the waiting list after I'd said about both her and admissions saying the other held it.

She said there wasn't one because there were no other children requesting a place.

The panel concluded from this that our son was therefore top of the list.

My husband asked a couple of pertinent questions about classroom sizes as the classrooms are over the average size for primary school.

We made our case and I had tried to stick mostly to our sons needs without bringing in the needs of our foster child - the panel actually asked a lot of questions about her and were very kind about what we are trying to do.

I think we said just about everything but afterwards you always wish you'd said something differently.

I really feel for everyone who has to do 11+ appeals - it was pretty daunting although I have to say the worst thing for me was the fact the head teacher was there. I certainly get the impression she doesn't want my child even though we'd never met before and she's never met my child!

Anyhow now we wait (I don't know how it will go) - thankyou for all your support.

On Wednesday I have to meet with our foster daughter's school, social services, ECPC and 'THE HEADTEACHER' from the new school in order to discuss her education. I will most definitely be saying she needs to be in her local community - here we go again........

Dobby
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now