Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bucks1

Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Post by Bucks1 »

Hi all, my first time here - probably too late – wish I had found it sooner!

My dd has been unsuccessful in her review.

I am feeling a bit disheartened about the whole process. My dd is on the top table of the top sets and has been since Y1. The fact that around 30% of pupils go to a grammar school suggests my dd is not in that bracket – which I feel she has been very very hard done by.

The Head Teacher has given a 2:2 recommendation and also stated -
‘We highly recommend **** for grammar school. **** is a talented and hardworking pupil. She achieves well and has made very pleasing progress. She has the personality to rise to challenges and we feel the rigor and stimulation of a grammar school curriculum would enable her to experience even greater success. We hope that careful consideration of the merits of this review will result in an appropriate result for her. We support this selection review’
Y5 report was 5c reading, 5c Maths, 5c science, all others 4a. She has been predicted level 5 in English and Maths at end of Y6 (no sub level given)

There were no extenuating circumstances.

The 11+ scores were 117 and 113. She achieved this with no tutoring (which I don’t believe in).

The unsuccessful letter stated ‘The Selection Review panel has decided *** does not meet the qualifying academic standard required for admission to a Buckinghamshire grammar school.’

TBH I am feeling as though I have let her down in someway? Maybe I SHOULD have tutored? How can the review panel make that decision when everything (except the 11+score obviously) is saying otherwise?

I have read on here that I should have provided other proof of academic achievement – other than school reports I didn’t have anything. I have also read on here that we should have provided reading and writing age – unfortunately I didn’t know that when compiling the review!

My dd knows nothing of the review and although upset at not passing the 11+ has come to terms with it.

I was just wondering if there is anything further I can/should do? Or should I just accept the fact my dd will be best suited to an upper school?
Guest55

Re: Unsuccessful Review

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks1 welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the unsuccessful review.

Your option is to go for an appeal when places are allocated on March 1st. I would also consider an Ed Psych report to get additional evidence of ability.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Hi there

We too were unsuccessful, despite 119/118 1:1 recommendation and an excellent Headteacher's summary. This with very high CAT scores and a fab Year 5 report didn't help it seems and I also feel very hard done by, so I know how you are feeling.

My dd knew of the review and has taken it quite well although deep down she really had her heart set on a particular grammar school.

I'm am very drained by the whole process and with a possible appeal further down the line, a bit overwhelmed!

That hasn't answered any of your questions, but just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

So Sorry to hear your news.

your dd sounds like a very bright and intelligent girl who will do well wherever she goes - however I can imagine this is no consolation to you at this time.

The next steps you could consider are an appeal in the summer and apply to sit the 12+. Which area do you live? You could possibly apply to sit a late transfer exam for another area such at Herts or Slough? The other thing you could consider is an independant school. It would take a huge hit on your finances but possibly worth it in the long term. Usually Independant schools can offer bursaries or scholarships for bright pupils like your daughter so worth some research.

all is not lost, dont give up hope just yet...

wishing you both all the very best

:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now