Told No Appeals for 11+ Only Reviews-Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kindheart

Told No Appeals for 11+ Only Reviews-Bucks

Post by kindheart »

Hi there.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic. :( My son missed passing his 11+ by 3 marks. We met with the Head and his teacher this morning and they were very supportive. However they were told by Bucks CC that there were no appeals only reviews. We were given a form to fill in for a review, however after searching on the website I came across a topic stating that an appeal can be lodge. I then phoned the Bucks CC and was also told that there will be no appeals, only reviews. I do not know what to believe. I have basically 9 days left to get my review in order. Please, can someone out there tell me the following:

* appeals- are they still active??

* how & when do we apply for a appeal ???

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Kindheart
Sally-Anne

Re: Told No Appeals for 11+ Only Reviews-Bucks

Post by Sally-Anne »

I suggest that you read this thread, and the various items linked within it: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=29733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

"there were no appeals only reviews"
:roll:

The right to an independent appeal is enshrined in law! Section 94 of the SSFA (School Standards & Framework Act) gives the right of appeal against any decision as to the school at which education is to be provided.
Etienne
miltonkeynesmum

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi kindheart I rang up Bucks this morning too and w as told the same thing that I had to go for review first and then could appeal.

if I didn't go for review couldn't appeal because what would I be appealing for as gs wouldn't know of her application to them as she didn't pass 11+. Also I too don't know when and how to appeal have been on this forum since Friday must have read everything 20 times, still confused .

Have read appeals code and that states if review is unsuccessful an appeal will only look into whether it was conducted in a fair objective manner and nothing else
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

if I didn't go for review couldn't appeal because what would I be appealing for as gs wouldn't know of her application to them as she didn't pass 11+.
The LA will be co-ordinating the allocation of places, and the GS will be on your CAF.
Also I too don't know when and how to appeal
It's in our Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have read appeals code and that states if review is unsuccessful an appeal will only look into whether it was conducted in a fair objective manner and nothing else
The Appeals Code also states:
3.13 An appeal panel may be asked to consider an appeal where the appellant believes that the child did not perform at their best on the day of the entrance test. In such cases:
a) where a local review process has not been applied, the panel must only uphold the appeal if it is satisfied:
i) that there is evidence to demonstrate that the child is of the required academic standards, for example, school reports giving Year 5/Year 6 SAT results or a letter of support from their current or previous school clearly indicating why the child is considered to be of grammar school ability; and
ii) where applicable, that the appellant’s arguments outweigh the admission authority’s case that admission of additional children would cause prejudice.
Contrast this with:
b) where a local review process has been followed, the panel must only consider
whether each child’s review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way and if there is no evidence that this has been done, the panel must follow the process in paragraph 3.13(a) above.
Exactly what we have been saying on here ..........
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now