Bucks review/appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Y6mum

Bucks review/appeal

Post by Y6mum »

I'm thinking to put a paragraph to describe the fact that my daughter is sometimes easily led by others. And that this would mean she would be motivated in a Grammar School but de-motiviated in an Upper School. Do you think this is a value thing to put down or whether the panel will see this as a weakness in my child.
pheasantchick

Re: Grammar school reason

Post by pheasantchick »

I think you are assuming that every child in a GS is motivated, and that those in non - GS are not. That's not really the case.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think it would be relevant.

Academic evidence of high ability is the key.
Etienne
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I don't see what writing that will achieve. Do you really believe it to be true that being easily led is less of a problem at a GS? And even if you do, would you expect a review panel to agree? Getting the best out of education and performing well at any school requires independence of thought and self-motivation. Stating that your daughter is sometimes easily led doesn't really portray her in the best light, so concentrate on the academic evidence that proves how suited she is for GS, not traits that you believe demonstrate how unsuited she is for an US.
Y6mum

Partner School

Post by Y6mum »

My child attends a high performing Partner School to Bucks LA, do I need to provide evidence of this to the SRP or would they have details already?
Y6mum

Post by Y6mum »

Thank you all for your useful comments :)
Y6mum

Re: Partner School

Post by Y6mum »

To clarify what I meant was evidence of the school's performance (not the facts that my child attends it). :)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'm not sure it's relevant, although someone else might know better.

I don't think a review panel would view an appellant's case more favourably if s/he was at a "better" school than another appellant from an "inferior" school with the same academic evidence and extenuating circumstances. At least I hope it isn't the case.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Y6mum wrote:To clarify what I meant was evidence of the school's performance (not the facts that my child attends it). :)
I think it's useful to have a context for being in the 'top set' or on the 'gifted and talented' register (if such a thing still exists). After all, the top set in one school could be very different from the top set in another.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I wouldn't burden any panel with, for example, an Oftsed report. Ideally, information about the academic calibre of the school would come via a brief comment from the headteacher. In the case of an independent school, see 2c:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Panels normally have [anonymised] details of 11+ results for the school in question (if it's a Bucks primary or partner school), and this will give an indication of ability - if not of curriculum - levels.

On the other hand, there will also be parents arguing that their child's 'borderline case' should be looked at in the context of a school that has faced enormous difficulties, and that what has been achieved is against all the odds.
Etienne
Y6mum

Post by Y6mum »

Good point Etienne, I might just put in the schools average point score for 2011. About the anonymized scores the panel get for the school though... Although a high performing school in league tables - up there with the top bucks primaries, only about a quarter of the children who took the 11+ passed. A friend's daughter is in a similar performing bucks school where 2 thirds passed. in my view this is likely down to the VR preparation bucks schools give children + the high level bucks children having private tuition.

Thats all fine but I'm concerned the panel may judge our school on that pass rate.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now