Crying At An Appeal....

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Re: Crying At An Appeal....

Post by countrymum »

Thank you Gogi, really appreciate your post. We are now in two minds whether we shall be going ahead with the appeal. It's quite deflating to hear from those who may know this school better than I, that no matter how strong our case is, it (probably) just wont cut it. Almost that her non-qual is what has defined her and that is all they shall see. I know going on the appeal history at this school we are probably destined for it not to be upheld, but really don't want those pesky what if's further down the road. All those who know and teach DD know she would cope admirably at said school, maybe that is all that matters. Perhaps an appeal is just my way of communicating it.

March 1st really is an important one for us, as depending on her allocation, determines possibly which route we take.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Just don't worry about whether you cry or not Countrymum. If all your most vital info is on paper for the panel it shouldn't matter either way as your case will have been well presented whether you dissolve or not.

Amber that is wise advice, but depressing. Fortunately, I think few people fall into this category of thinking (apart from 100% of my in-laws). The thing is, you could have one person with tears falling freely still well in possession of their senses, and someone else who never shows tears who has lost all touch with reality. Never judge a book by its cover as they say.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Mystery, I have a feeling a tear may fall, just at the end :wink:
Probably as a release perhaps as to be honest this has taken so much of my thinking and energy over the last year or so. I can't be the only one to think 'I can't wait till this 11+ journey is all over'. My emotions may be completely different on the day, who knows.

Not going to go into detail but we have had a little meeting at one possible school for DD after I began this thread, and I may have had a little something in my eye whilst we were all talking. I have to say the school were extremely understanding, supportive and totally got why I felt the way I did.

If the appeal members show the same professional compassion towards me that I experienced at this other school, then tbh I really have no worries at all.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

CM. I am a strong person, but the 15m of my 11 plus journey with 2 DC's tested me and has brought out every emotion I could experience. I have represented local authorties at appeal (non school admission!!) for many years, but as I introduced my DD's appeal my voice quivered to the point a shocked DH asked if 'I was OK'. In my summing up, I didn't cry, but I was close and your comment "Probably as a release perhaps as to be honest this has taken so much of my thinking and energy over the last year or so. I can't be the only one to think 'I can't wait till this 11+ journey is all over', sums it up beautifully and is so true. Thinking about you.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks stocky for sharing your experience {{{{{}}}} I really shall be glad when its all sorted and she is settled in her school, and whichever one it is, I know it shall all work out for the best. It may not have been a top/first choice but I know she shall grab all the opportunities it has to offer her, she'll make some lovely life long friends and (hopefully) she shall be happy there. Although I have another (younger) child and would not like to map out their schooling so early on, I don't think we shall be going through this again. They are both quite different children with individual quirks and needs, so at least I probably have to only do this once.

And so the 11+ journey continues for us....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now