Why won't the school provide ranking in the test?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jamesberks

Why won't the school provide ranking in the test?

Post by jamesberks »

I've asked the local school a number of questions amongst which was a request for anonymised results of their tests because I would like to calculate the probability of a tie breaker ever being used. They answered most of the questions but declined to provide the test results on the grounds that it would allow parents to work out the ranking of their children. (Actually they were far more obtuse than that saying ranking is not provided because the LA allocate places but I think that was the real underlying issue they have.)

I don't understand why the school do not want parents to know the ranking in the tests. The admissions criteria is very clear (the usual ...
1 - statemented naming the school
2 - cared for,
3 - in catchment
4 - out of catchment
and within each of those groups ranked by test results) so if everything is open and above board what is the problem with parents knowing the ranking in the tests?

They've been helpful, polite, responsive and quick to reply and I think I may be able to figure out what I want to know by asking them for copies of the age weighting tables they use. Equally assuming the results are normalised with a mean of 100 and std. dev. of 15 then working out the ranking is really easy using Excel.

... I'd really like it if someone could explain why parents shouldn't know the ranking in the test.
tigger2

Re: Why won't the school provide ranking in the test?

Post by tigger2 »

Jamesberks....I understand your point and understand that it may be different here in Kent but when appealing for ds a couple of years ago we were advised ds's ranking according to admissions criteria for each school we appealed for . This happened when the school or LA began to present their case at the hearing. I agree that it should be made available to you. Good Luck !

Tigger
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now