Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CaroPiano

Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Post by CaroPiano »

Hello - my first time on here too. I found reading the posts very helpful and informative but somewhat frustrating. There does not appear to be much rhyme or reason and some 'luck' unfortunately as to whether success or not in the selection review process.

My daughter has just been unsuccessful in the review process: VRT score of 111. As she was known throughout her school time as "the cleverest girl in the school"; "you will definitely pass" she was under huge pressure before the 11+ tests and this showed. Headteacher recommendation of 1:1; SATS scores working at 5a English, projected level 6 at end of Y6; 5c Maths currently projected level of 5a at end of Y6. Nfer scores of 133 Maths and 125 English (Jan 2012) also used for the academic evidence part of the form.

Extenuating circumstances were that a friend of hers (another girl) went into meltdown during the exam and was comforted and carried on but obviously this caused some disruption to the whole process.

It is extremely disheartening to then get a letter stating ".....did not achieve the academic standard required".

Is our only course of action now a direct appeal to GS when school allocation letter comes out? Do we put her in for the 12+ or is there anything else which can be done?

Is there any system within the schools during Y7 which allows Headteachers to notify parents of a child being in the 'wrong place' and enabling a transfer to be made (either into GS or out of GS as appropriate)?

It seems somewhat inaccurate to ignore teachers (headteachers' actually) opinion of a child after 7 years of knowing them and take a panel review's opinion only.

Any hope that anyone can give me here?
scary mum

Re: Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Post by scary mum »

Is there any system within the schools during Y7 which allows Headteachers to notify parents of a child being in the 'wrong place' and enabling a transfer to be made (either into GS or out of GS as appropriate)?
I will just answer this and leave the rest to the experts. No there isn't - if there was, most GSs (with a couple of exceptions) do not have any spare places, and the Upper Schools will be delighted to have students who should have got through the 11plus.
scary mum
Etienne

Re: Unsuccessful Bucks Review

Post by Etienne »

Is our only course of action now a direct appeal to GS when school allocation letter comes out?
In the immediate future, yes. But be aware of the 'fair, consistent & objective' test.
See this thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 27#p361850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne