Including all school reports or just the latest?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DC17C

Re: Including all school reports or just the latest?

Post by DC17C »

Etienne wrote:
If I sent the relevant bit of the OT report would you be willing to have a look?
Yes - so long as it's before tomorrow when we shall be overwhelmed by Allocations Day!
I did not get an Ed Psych report as the OT did not think it was needed for a diagnosis -would this help ?
Difficult to know in advance. It would at least be written with a view to assessing whether entry to a grammar school would be appropriate - but it depends what it actually says! :)

Read the Q&As - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
will send it to the drop box ASAP Thankyou
Poppet3

Post by Poppet3 »

Thanks so much Etienne. With regard to other academic evidence (CATS certificates, school reports etc) should that be submitted prior to the appeal?
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Poppet3 wrote:Thanks so much Etienne. With regard to other academic evidence (CATS certificates, school reports etc) should that be submitted prior to the appeal?
Yes. The Panel do not have to consider evidence produced at the appeal - this is because appeals run to quite a tight schedule so in order for all sides to read & consider evidence, it should be sent in advance of the appeal date.

That's not to say that panels never consider evidence produced on the day, but they have the choice of admitting it or not. In general, if you want them or need them to look at it, send it in.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Poppet3 wrote:Thanks so much Etienne. With regard to other academic evidence (CATS certificates, school reports etc) should that be submitted prior to the appeal?
All evidence should normally be submitted in advance.

School work is likely to be the exception. For general guidance scroll down to note 1:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've a feeling you may be appealing to Bucks/Slough.
  • • For a Bucks LA appeal which might be addressing the issue of qualification, you should bring any school work with you on the day, because that's their usual guidance.

• I'm pretty sure the Slough Consortium aren't too interested in school work (15 minutes per appeal??), but I can't see anyone objecting to a SATs paper if it's just to confirm 4a/5c on a particular date.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

DC17C wrote:will send it to the drop box ASAP Thankyou
The full OT report looks fine to me.

What you could do is to write helpfully:
"Please see OT report attached as appendix 1 (pages ........ might be of particular interest)"

It will draw their attention to the pages you think are most important, but leave them free to read whatever they want, and also make the point that nothing is being concealed!

You could also consider underlining any bits you particularly want to draw their attention to, because they strongly support your case.
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you so......oooo much. That makes so much sense - I was thinking to use a highlighter pen rather than underline.
I will leave you to respond/help to everyone else now :D
I guess tomorrow will be busy !!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

DC17C wrote:Thank you so......oooo much. That makes so much sense - I was thinking to use a highlighter pen rather than underline.
I will leave you to respond/help to everyone else now :D
I guess tomorrow will be busy !!
Thanks - but don't use a highlighter. When the papers are photocopied for the panel in black & white, it is likely to turn into a horrible smudge! :lol:
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I had thought I might print and send several copies to make it easier for the clerk - but I guess it would be safer to underline anyway.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suspect that clerks would usually want just a single copy which they are then responsible for duplicating, because everyone involved should have exactly the same paperwork.

The problem is - appellants wouldn't normally know how many copies will be needed.
Etienne
Poppet3

Post by Poppet3 »

Nope, can't figure out how everyone else does the quotes :) The following two comments are quoted:
I've a feeling you may be appealing to Bucks/Slough

• I'm pretty sure the Slough Consortium aren't too interested in school work (15 minutes per appeal??), but I can't see anyone objecting to a SATs paper if it's just to confirm 4a/5c on a particular date.
[ Have fixed the quotation for you. :) ]

You're right, Etienne, we'll be appealing to Slough. This information is really useful, THANKYOU . There can't be much time for questions I suppose! One thing I've been wondering is whether at Slough appeals for non qualification, each case is considered on its own merits with the school then having to apply its own oversubscription criteria, or whether appeal candidates are, in effect, being compared with each other. It would seem rather unfair to me if, in the event of many appeal candidates being of a very high standard, some might not be allowed the chance to be added to a waiting list for their chosen school simply because of numbers.

DC17C, it looks like you are making really positive leaps forward in your appeal preparation. I wish you the very best of luck and really hope to see good news from you at the end of this very testing next chapter!