Appealing for A level choices at QE boys Barnet

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suzyb

Appealing for A level choices at QE boys Barnet

Post by suzyb »

Hi Etienne

You may or may not been aware that there has been some discussion about the hotly debated 'cull' that goes on at QE boys in Barnet on the Hertfordshire forum.

I am not sure if you are aware how the school operates but in order for a boy to be allowed to do A levels at QE they need to have a recommendation from their subject teacher. The recommendation is based on a series of internal subject tests sat by the boys in year 10 and early year 11. They have to get a certain percentage (usually 75%) in 5 out of 6 or 5 out of 7 tests with a higher weighting given to harder tests. This has resulted in some boys being offered recommendations in 10+ subjects and other boys only being offered 1 recommendation. Like many other parents my son has been offered 3 out of 4 A level subjects that he want to do, although he could be considered luckier than some some as he has recommendations in quite a few other subjects. He needs the fourth specific A level, however, for his choice of degree and at the moment we are in the process of trying to negotiaite this with the school. No mention of this recommendation tests is made on the school website and we the only written information is in the boys diaries given to them at the beginning of year 10. When asked at prospective parents evenings about the cull parents are told that any boy who wished to stay at the school for sixth form can do. This clearly is not necessarily under desirable terms

The school is now an academy and I have tried to look into the process of appealing to academy sixth forms but there is very little information on the web, presumably because this is not a common occurance, unlike 11+ appeals. I know your field is really around the 11+ area but I wondered if you have any suggestion or guidance to help ourselves and others at this difficult time

Regards
Suzyb
Etienne

Re: Appealing for A level choices at QE boys Barnet

Post by Etienne »

Hello, suzyb
I know your field is really around the 11+ area
Actually we do everything from Infants up to the 6th form - it's just that most of the questions we get relate to 11+! :lol:

You're right that 6th form appeals are a rarity - I suspect that many parents don't realise they have a right of appeal (and that some schools are failing to make that clear).

I have written before about the point you raise:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 64#p349564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, if the issue is about choice of course - rather than entry into the 6th form - it is unlikely to be a matter for an appeal. (I'm afraid choice of course would be considered an internal matter.)

If parents are aggrieved (and I can well understand why they would feel that way) the correct procedure would be for as many of them as possible to make an individual formal complaint to the school. (Start by asking for a copy of the school's complaints procedure.)

They could also consider approaching individual governors for support (especially any parent governors, because they ought to be representing the interests and concerns of parents).

Good luck
Etienne
suzyb

Re: Appealing for A level choices at QE boys Barnet

Post by suzyb »

Thanks Etienne
Clearly can't see the woods for the trees at the moment and missed your response right in the middle. We will start down your suggested route. This is such an entrenched pathway I fear its going to be hard to force change
Suzyb
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now