Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:01 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 am
Posts: 3
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I have 2 questions:
1. My evidence is brief.
Year 5 school reports saying she was levels 4a, 5c, 5c.
Letter from HT and teacher saying she's going to take level 6 maths and eng.
Explanation of her not being herself on the test day, backed up by HT.

Should I try and dig out all her certificates for academics she had in the last couple of years, or is that not really of any use.
Should I get some evidence from other teachers of her talent in the specialism of the school, or should that just come from the HT.
2. Photocopying. Obviously all evidence will have to be photocopied. Does this look dodgy. If so, what the heck can be done about it!
Thanks


I'm going to appeal for two grammar schools for my dd for non qualification. I'm going to have to photocopy evidence and I thought that you were meant to send originals, schools reports etc. Should I photocopy everything and then take the original on the day?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
Welcome! :)

kat3 wrote:
Should I try and dig out all her certificates for academics she had in the last couple of years, or is that not really of any use.
Some panels like to see the one page printout of KS1 results, as straight 3s are a good early indication of grammar school standard. Not usually essential, though.

I wouldn't normally include anything else - unless it's something really outstanding

Quote:
Should I get some evidence from other teachers of her talent in the specialism of the school, or should that just come from the HT.
If the school is still advertising its specialism (remember - there's no funding for it now!), and if she has an aptitude, then someone needs to provide the evidence! Either discuss with the head in advance, or wait and see what the head comes up with.

Quote:
I'm going to have to photocopy evidence and I thought that you were meant to send originals, schools reports etc.
No, don't do that!
Quote:
Should I photocopy everything and then take the original on the day?
Yes.

Good luck.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 am
Posts: 3
Thank you Etienne.
I didn't realise that schools were dropping their specialisms. I thought part of the appeal was to say why your daughter was suitable for the particular specialism. Should I phone to check if the schools are bothering with it anymore?
Also, can I ask, my daughter went to a pre prep that didn't do the ks1 tests, or at least they never told us about them. But my daughter did take a 7+ test to get into a selective highly academic school and got a place. Should I put in evidence of that?
Thank you in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11934
kat3 - the Year 5 levels do not seem to match the facts of going for level 6 ....

You will need to show your child is working at level 6 ie has made over a level of progress in less than a year ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm
Posts: 930
Oddly enough I have the same with DS - assessed as 5c in yr 4 and then 5c again in yr 5 but now doing level 6 maths- but he seems to have really matured recently


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7059
kat3 wrote:
I didn't realise that schools were dropping their specialisms. I thought part of the appeal was to say why your daughter was suitable for the particular specialism. Should I phone to check if the schools are bothering with it anymore?
Have a look at their website and at their prospectus for 2013/14 to see whether they're still highlighting their 'strengths'. Even if they aren't, it's arguable that they will still have residual expertise and resources in those areas.

Quote:
Also, can I ask, my daughter went to a pre prep that didn't do the ks1 tests, or at least they never told us about them. But my daughter did take a 7+ test to get into a selective highly academic school and got a place. Should I put in evidence of that?
To be honest, I don't think panels will be very interested in what happened at 7+. KS1 is only of (possible) interest because of the progression through to KS2. I wouldn't worry about looking for alternative evidence to KS1 when what really matters is recent progress.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two Appeals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:46 am
Posts: 3
Thank you for your advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016