Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:02 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Posts: 33
Hello

My daughter scored 234 in the tests. I've been reading all of your questions and answers and not sure whether I should appeal or not. It's a procedure I'd rather not go through. But my daughter is so upset with her results I thought I'd ask your advice. I have not asked what number she is on waiting list as I feel this will not materialise in a place.

242 was the lowest academic score awarded a place in this school this year. 234 is 8 points lower so am wondering if I can appeal. She is a bright year 6 pupil who has shocked us with her scored as she is a normally confident child. The only thing I can think of she was so nervous on the day and when we dropped her at the test centre a screaming and crying child who would not go in and whom we were stood behind unnerved her. I had to coax her in that day.

Upon collection she did tell me cried and was upset during the maths paper which was first. The head of the school noticed this and kept her in her office during the 15 min break to console her and take her mind of things. She scored better in the verbal reasoning paper. But I know she missed out questions in maths.

That's all I can pin her lower performance on. I have a letter from her school who has given her level 2 sats results which were a level 3 for all. Sorry I do not remember the sub levels. She has also been predicted a high level 5a in maths, English and reading. She is also being entered for level 6 tests. She is being taught separately by the school as they are a few children who were gifted and talented I think. They've also said the do not feel her entrance exams scores represent her academic ability today and the future.

Do you think I can appeal? If I did I am not sure on what grounds I can do this on. The grammar school is a mile from my Home so Is closer than the one she has been given. I should point out that I have a older daughter in the other school who is doing well. My youngest is very different and the only reason I am thinking of appealing is I feel she will do better in a school where she is academically challenged.

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
Quote:
242 was the lowest academic score awarded a place in this school this year. 234 is 8 points lower so am wondering if I can appeal.
Anyone can appeal - but if what you really mean is 'Have we any chance?', we always point out that the majority of appeals won't succeed.
Someone with local knowledge might be able to say something about previous success rates for this school, but I've a feeling it may be on the low side.

However, unless you 'have a go', you'll never know for sure!
Appeals can be unpredictable:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c20

Quote:
She is a bright year 6 pupil who has shocked us with her scored as she is a normally confident child. The only thing I can think of she was so nervous on the day and when we dropped her at the test centre a screaming and crying child who would not go in and whom we were stood behind unnerved her. I had to coax her in that day.
Upon collection she did tell me cried and was upset during the maths paper which was first. The head of the school noticed this and kept her in her office during the 15 min break to console her and take her mind of things.
I assume the head has put some of this in writing?

Quote:
I have a letter from her school who has given her level 2 sats results which were a level 3 for all.
Do you mean Key Stage 1 SATs? If so, good.

Quote:
Sorry I do not remember the sub levels. She has also been predicted a high level 5a in maths, English and reading. She is also being entered for level 6 tests. She is being taught separately by the school as they are a few children who were gifted and talented I think.
That sounds good!

Quote:
Do you think I can appeal?
As above - anyone can appeal!

Quote:
If I did I am not sure on what grounds I can do this on.
You can appeal on the grounds that she was expected to score much more highly than she did, and you attach as much very strong academic evidence as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11

Secondly, you can write "she is a normally confident girl who was uncharacteristically upset on the day" - and you provide the evidence for this.

Thirdly, you write: "The grammar school is a mile from my Home so is closer than the one she has been given. I should point out that I have a older daughter in the allocated school who is doing well. My youngest is very different and the only reason I am thinking of appealing is I feel she will do better in a school where she is academically challenged."
Think hard about whether there are any other reasons you can give. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2

Good luck if you decide to go ahead. :)

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Posts: 33
Hello Etienne

Thanks for your reply. I have been unwell all weekend and therefore couldn't reply back.

Regarding my daughter being upset on the day of the test only I confirm this. The head of the school she sat the tests at is the school I'm considering an appeal to. How can I ask her to verify this? I guess I have to prove her performance on the day was not her Normal standard.

About her key stage 1 sats yes they were all level 3 and I have the report for this.

Yes she is predicted high level 5 for her key stage 2 sats and will be sitting the year 6 sats. The school have confirmed this in writing.

Although I cannot include this as evidence she gets bored at school so her teacher said a few years ago we should put her in some extra classes. She said as a school they do not encourage extra tuition but mu daughter was bored in class. She is being taught on a Saturday and her tutor tells me she is more advanced than some of her year 7/8 pupils. This is why I cannot understand why she scored low on the day. Yes she was nervous and she has never been in an exam setting. She kept asking if the tests would be taken in a class and not in a hall. I wish I had prepared her better.

I have found some scores from may 2012 when her school tested the children. Her maths score they simply stated as significantly above average and her verbal reasoning as 140+. I can ask them for more clarification on the maths.

I don't want to go down the lines of extenuating circumstances but we did have her great grandad in hospital from August to September. He has subsequently passed away but I do not think this alone would have affected her. We did have very long days as the hospital was not local. Also I myself am unwell. I have a progressive illness and have very bad days and although I try not to affect my home life my husband tells me it's been hard on him and the girls. Her marks at school do not reflect a change though so I will not mention it.

With regards to what to say I have a lot of reading to do. I don't even know if I can stand infront of a panel. This is where my illness comes into effect. I do badly with stress. I just feel its a case of nothing ventured nothing gained. Irrespective of the outcome at least I tried for her. She will not know I am doing this as she will get her hopes up and at least I know the rate of success is very low and can be level headed.

Once again thanks for your advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
l33na wrote:
The head of the school she sat the tests at is the school I'm considering an appeal to.
I didn't realise, but in that case you can easily write "The headteacher was kind enough to ......."
(I feel sure this will be accepted.)

Quote:
I have found some scores from may 2012 when her school tested the children. Her maths score they simply stated as significantly above average and her verbal reasoning as 140+. I can ask them for more clarification on the maths.
Good.

Quote:
I don't want to go down the lines of extenuating circumstances but we did have her great grandad in hospital from August to September. He has subsequently passed away but I do not think this alone would have affected her. We did have very long days as the hospital was not local. Also I myself am unwell. I have a progressive illness and have very bad days and although I try not to affect my home life my husband tells me it's been hard on him and the girls. Her marks at school do not reflect a change though so I will not mention it.
You could mention grandfather at the hearing if there's a suitable question, but keep it low key - just make the panel aware, without claiming any impact on performance.

Quote:
With regards to what to say I have a lot of reading to do. I don't even know if I can stand infront of a panel. This is where my illness comes into effect. I do badly with stress.
You don't have to stand. I suggest you explain in your written case about your health, and ask to be excused from giving a presentation (if that's what you would like - it won't matter so long as your main points are all in the written submission). Say that you will do your best to attend, because you do understand how important it is that any questions the panel may have should be answered. It would be a good idea to include a letter from your GP.

It's possible the panel will ask whether your illness affected your daughter, and you can answer truthfully "My husband tells me it's been hard on him and the girls, the more so in August/September when DD's grandfather was terminally ill - but I can't honestly say whether it affected her performance in the test. We just coped as best we could."

Quote:
She will not know I am doing this as she will get her hopes up and at least I know the rate of success is very low and can be level headed.
Very wise.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Posts: 33
Thanks Etienne. I will take your points on board. A big part of me is saying I should not appeal and put myself through this stress. Lets see what decide. I've asked my husband if he will attend the hearing instead of me. I also have a letter from my consultant that explains my illness already but it's a year old now.

I'm feeling extremely confused now. Good night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
Quote:
I also have a letter from my consultant that explains my illness already but it's a year old now.
That would do.

All the best, whatever you decide.

If you wanted to, you could submit an appeal just to keep your options open - you can cancel at any time.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016