12+ selection review/appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nikkib107

12+ selection review/appeal

Post by nikkib107 »

Looking for some advice please

My son recently sat his 12+ at SHFG, this was a computerised verbal reasoning test which did not have any of the maths questions seen in the 11+, he scored 120.

I am planning on either a selection review/appeal on the grounds that he is hearing impaired and disadvantaged by a paper which places importance on level of vocabulary.

1. Verbal reasoning test disadvantage hearing impaired children who do not passively absorb language in the same way their hearing peers do. Hearing impaired children typically have a poorer vocabulary than there hearing peers ( I have research to back this up).
And also

2. Unfamiliar environment, with new style test on the computer ( read and or listen to instructions) Listening would have meant taking out his hearing aid and relying solely on his right ear, he choose not to use headphones reducing his access to the test compared to his hearing peers

3. History of fluctuating hearing loss which unexpectedly became permanent at the beginning of year 6 but not diagnosed until half way through year 6 and subsequent hearing aid not fitted until end of year 6, impacting on his key stage 3 stats-Reading 5, writing 4, Math 5. Continued to cause difficulties educationally on move to secondary score until I persuaded LEA to provide a FM radio aid system. Now progressing Well, 5a Science, 6c Math and 5b writing.

I would appreciate some feedback as to whether this would be considered extenuating circumstances. Does anyone know of an appeal on similar grounds?

Other info-

11+ scores 110/116-didn’t appeal

Current head willing to support appeal/review but seems unsure of what to put in her letter! What should she cover
Etienne

Re: 12+ selection review/appeal

Post by Etienne »

I'm a bit doubtful that 'unfamiliar environment' will carry much weight, as it presumably applies to all children who took the late selection test? If you have evidence that he's a very sensitive child who always reacts badly to unfamiliar surroundings, it might be different.

Were you made aware of how the testing was to be done, and was there an opportunity to raise any concerns and/or request adjustments?

The problem with "hearing impaired children typically have a poorer vocabulary than their hearing peers" is that you are putting forward a case for a particular child who may or may not be typical. Is there evidence that his vocabulary was insufficient to allow him to access the tests?

Research is one thing, but it would be infinitely better if you had evidence from a professional supporting the view that your son would have been disadvantaged.

With a gap of just one mark, you actually need very little in the way of extenuating circumstances. Personally I think there's a risk your review/appeal will lack balance. It would probably be enough to ask the panel to take into account that he is stronger on the maths/science side! - while letting any medical evidence speak for itself.

In my view you should focus much, much more on putting forward an academic case:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
History of fluctuating hearing loss which unexpectedly became permanent at the beginning of year 6 but not diagnosed until half way through year 6 and subsequent hearing aid not fitted until end of year 6, impacting on his key stage 3 stats-Reading 5, writing 4, Math 5
It would be very helpful if the current head could confirm that he is now making accelerated progress.

If she has asked for advice, perhaps her attention could also be drawn to:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Etienne
nikkib107

Post by nikkib107 »

thanks Etienne. So keen to get feedback on my thoughts so far forgot to mention acaedemic ability...

Feedback on extenuating circumstances appreciated, unfortunately as recieved results late now only have 9 days to complete paperwork which I have not as yet recieved, this makes getting a vocab ssessment done in time a bit tricky (last assessment was when aged 5 ). Maybe not being given the full 14 days to prepare would be grounds to appeal if selection review does not go our way.

Now looking at acaedemic ability from accelerated progress prespective and strength in Math/Science as suggested.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Maybe not being given the full 14 days to prepare would be grounds to appeal if selection review does not go our way.
Contrast this timescale with an appeal, where you must be given:
    • • at least 20 school days, and
      • a further deadline for any late evidence - usually a week or two before the hearing.
There are numerous grounds on which a review could be challenged. See section (d):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=31030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Although it's an 11+ thread, many of the arguments would apply equally to late selection.)
Etienne
nikkib107

Post by nikkib107 »

Hi Etienne

just to let you know my selection review was successful

many thanks

Nikki
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's great news!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Wonderful! Well done!

Do let us know if you are successful in getting a place.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Congratulations from me too! :D
Etienne wrote:Do let us know if you are successful in getting a place.
As of January 2103 there were 124 pupils in Year 7, leaving 26 vacant places.

Obviously we have no way of knowing what the current figure is, nor how many qualified in the 12+ (outright or through an appeal), but I would think that the chances of a place are probably quite good.
nikkib107

Post by nikkib107 »

Place offerred, absolutely delighted was not looking forward to a another appeal, Thanks once again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Wonderful news!

Congratulations! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now