Late developer

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Seen

Late developer

Post by Seen »

Hello

I've got my appeal in Thursday & I've just come across DDs yr5 report showing her going from a 3C to 4B in Maths in that year. Should I take it along to my appeal as evidence of her rapid acceleration in maths over the last 2 years?

I realise that this is all very last minute but I'm suddenly very unsure of just about everything :(
U400JB9

Re: Late developer

Post by U400JB9 »

I can only say, if I'd turned up with extra stuff today they wouldn't have looked.
However, every appeal is different, have you anything to lose by taking it in case?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Seen wrote:I've just come across DDs yr5 report showing her going from a 3C to 4B in Maths in that year. Should I take it along to my appeal as evidence of her rapid acceleration in maths over the last 2 years?
Does the report actually comment on rapid progress in maths?

How do these results fit within the total picture (year 2 to year 6)? Might the 3c have been a blip?

What could really make an impression, of course, is any accelerated progress since the 11 plus!
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I'm not a panel member so please feel free to ignore me, but I would be impressed by high current maths levels versus what they were at the time of the test. Also I would want the current level to be as good as or better than the level would be of children who passed in September for the particular school you are trying for.

Your daughter's results show fantastic progress in year 5 - 4 sub-levels - but I don't really feel that would help me make the decision. It tells me that she was a 4b at the time that she sat the 11plus which is presumably lower than a lot of 11plus candidates at the time?

What do the appeal panels for the school you are trying for look for at the end of year 5? Assuming 1.5 sublevels progress per annum ( satisfactory progress which would give the rise in two full levels during KS2 e.g. level 3 to level 5) your daughter would achieve half way between a 4a and a 5c at the end of KS2.

This for me would not be enough to convince me the child is of grammar standard as over 30% of children nationally get level 5s in maths. Presumably you would also say that her maths has improved considerably this year, year 6, too. Without this knowledge telling me the year 5 increase in NC levels is not useful. What level is she now do you think? If it's reassuringly high that would help me, depending on just how selective the school is that you are applying for. But also I'd have to bear in mind that the actual NC result might be different from the teacher assessment. The panel would have to put great trust in the teacher assessment.

"Late developer" I find completely unhelpful as it means so many different things to different people, and can be caused by so many different factors both internal and external to the child.
Seen

Post by Seen »

Yes,I see what you mean,it does all seem a bit vague doesn't it? I think I'm just clutching at straws tbh.
Maths was always DDs weeker subject & until yr5 we hadn't even considered the 11+ for her but suddenly,at the beginning of yr5 she began to gain confidence & understanding in the subject & began to do well. Her teachers were thrilled as were we & she suddenly expressed the wish to try the 11+.
She is predicted 5c at least for her SATs now & she passed her NVR & VR well. She also secured a good pass in the Medway 11+ which is,I think,the main reason why we are putting ourselves through this.

She would had been offered a place at a Medway GS had we applied but after looking at all the options we felt it was just too far for her to travel every day. So tomorrows appeal is for her sisters GS were they have a sibling rule (although its a very popular school & we don't hold out an awful lot of hope).

Just turning over every stone (we even applied to Trinity at one point but were put off by the long term uncertainty of the site). So you see,we really are game old birds & just feel as though we have nothing to lose & a tiny,weeny chance of success :?
Seen

Post by Seen »

That's 'weaker',see what I mean? Poor DD2,what chance does she have? :lol:
Seen

Post by Seen »

Please excuse all spelling & grammatical mistakes. I am using my phone & not wearing my glasses :roll:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

:D
Good luck tomorrow Seen.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah yes, good luck. If she passed the Medway test presumably that shows that she is grammar ability.
Seen

Post by Seen »

Yes,that's what we're hoping Mystery!

Thank you both for your good wishes,see you on the other side! :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now