Kent - can we view question paper?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mindyuk

Kent - can we view question paper?

Post by mindyuk »

My DD only scored 104 in Maths, having passed VR & NVR. She scored 18/50. Her previous 11+ test scores have always been passes around 70%. I helped her revise so know her capabilities and weaknesses.

I know the test paper can be remarked, but how will that help me understand how she underperformed so spectacularly? She herself said she was calm and careful and felt she got at least 32 correct.

Can I view the question paper to reassure myself that it was too hard for her, explaining why she only got 18 correct.

Thanks / Mindy
hermanmunster

Re: Kent - can we view question paper?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi mindyuk

have a read here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Kent are the most helpful with people looking at answer papers - though a not totally sure whether you get to see the question paper :?
mindyuk

Post by mindyuk »

Yes, had read all the Q&As, but could find nothing about the question papers. Seeing her answer sheet wouldn't really help...

Do you know if I can apply for the Question paper under the freedom of information act. How do schools/tutors get past papers?
mystery

Post by mystery »

What could have happened is that she has put the correct answers against the wrong question numbers for part of the paper. Don't know how you check for this.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Kent changed their policy on this a few years ago ..they said that due to licensing issues with GL they could only allow answer papers to be viewed because parentes were .alledgedly, photographing question papers. Answer papers are re-marked manually at no cost to parents and although it can be a bit annoying not to see the question papers you will see if there are consecutive questions marked as incorrect and in previous years you would be told if your dc had possibly missed a question and gone out of sequence.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

tigger2 wrote:Answer papers are re-marked manually at no cost to parents and although it can be a bit annoying not to see the question papers you will see if there are consecutive questions marked as incorrect and in previous years you would be told if your dc had possibly missed a question and gone out of sequence.
Just out of interest...if this did happen, would the affected section of paper then be remarked as if the mistake hadn't been made, so that the potential score can be seen? There but for the grace, and all that...DD fessed up to getting a load of answers out of sync in one of the tests, but fortunately managed to recover the situation enough to scrape through. Bucks, not Kent, but just wondering as a general principle.
Marylou
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

No I don't think it would but I am not 100% sure about this so if there is an expert out there........

When we checked ds's answers a few years ago the KCC staff onhand were explaining to another parent that their dc had almost certainly gone out of sequence on nvr (apparently in Kent it happens most often with nvr :( ) and dh remembers them being given a photocopy with a comps slip from KCC confirming that the dc in question had missed 24 points as a result of failing that section of questions.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

tigger2 wrote:apparently in Kent it happens most often with nvr :(
Understandable, given a large block of answers, all A - E in identical little boxes, differentiated only by the question number. The child would be concentrating so hard on trying to get the right answer, under pressure and working against the clock, that they could easily start putting the answers in the wrong boxes.

In the Bucks test instructions, children are told not to guess answers :shock:. They are told to come back later if there is time and answer any they have missed, but as we know, leaving a gap (rather than guessing at the time and correcting it later) would make getting out of sync a distinct possibility, especially for answer sheets with this layout. :(
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe it would depend when you asked for this? It would be worth fighting for as ideally you would want an offer on 1 March rather than to go through appeal after this. One might hope that this kind of thing is checked for the surprise failures at the headteachers' review before the results come out in October, but clearly not.

This is exactly the sort of thing I can see my Dd doing in multiple choice exams. Along with getting the answer right but then filling in the wrong answer box on the question sheet.

The tests where the children have to fill in the right answer on the question sheet would be far more desirable for my child - something definitely goes wrong in mid-air between the question and answer sheets. It can even happen in standard form between the working out and the answer box!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Marylou wrote:Just out of interest...if this did happen, would the affected section of paper then be remarked as if the mistake hadn't been made, so that the potential score can be seen? There but for the grace, and all that...DD fessed up to getting a load of answers out of sync in one of the tests, but fortunately managed to recover the situation enough to scrape through. Bucks, not Kent, but just wondering as a general principle.
I doubt there would be any obligation on the relevant authority to do this, Marylou - I think it would be at their discretion.
Etienne