11 plus "exceptional" evidence for Bucks review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sunshineday

11 plus "exceptional" evidence for Bucks review

Post by Sunshineday »

My DS achieved 119 in the recent Bucks 11 plus. Having read all of the relevant information that I could find on your forum (thank you it is very comprehensive), we have decided to go for a review.
I feel that I have sufficient academic evidence and the Head Teacher will support our appeal. My question is over "exceptional" evidence. My DS is dyslexic and was entitled to extra time in the verbal and maths sections. His scores were V - 65, Maths - 32, NV 22 - total 119.
I have an Ed Psyc report detailing his strengths (eg, 98 percentile score for verbal comprehension) and medical reports on visual issues and hyper-mobility.
Basically I believe that although he had extra time, the format of the exam is still extremely tricky and exhausting for dyslexic children (I know that a lot of children found the format a challenge - but tracking issues when the answer sheet is separate from the question sheet compound this!)
He is a September baby and a score of 119 seems painfully close.
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Etienne

Re: 11 plus "exceptional" evidence for Bucks review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Can't be of much help, I'm afraid, because only the review panel can decide what they think of the circumstances.

I'm afraid that, if they wanted to, they could just say "Extra time was allowed".
(Extra time is not given lightly, so it sounds as if the dyslexia is quite substantial).

One hopes that they would take into account the closeness of the score.

Were you given all the 'reasonable adjustments' that you requested?

98th percentile is excellent!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now