Bucks Selection Review 11+

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review 11+

Post by Etienne »

You need to end with [/quote] not [quote] ...... :wink:

121 on its own probably wouldn't impress, even though it's round about the 92nd percentile on a national scale.
137 is excellent.
The average, 129, ought to be acceptable for an appeal panel. Not sure what a review panel would think.
(Anything from 127 upwards is the 97th+ percentile.)

Let's see what the head puts on the summary sheet.
Etienne
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

One tip from me on the results of tests other than the 11 plus tests. You need to check how these are standardised. Last year we had a test result of 118 in VR (I think) in NFER which everyone looked at as being below the 121 threshold. However, a bit of time on Google showed that these results were standardised differently meaning that the score put DS in a very high percentile. This may not be the case this year given that the 11 plus results are being standardised using a different average point (probably havent explained that very well....) but it is certainly worth a little research by parents who are looking at NFER and CATS and thinking that they may not be very good scores.....
47guest

Post by 47guest »

Thanks jpk, I've a query if you or anyone else can help with on GL Assessment VR/NVR Tests, break down as follows:

aaVR) Age 8yrs 3 months, Raw Score 60/65, Standardised 124
bbVR) Age 9yrs 4 months, Raw Score 62/65, Standardised 121
ccVR) Age 10yrs 6 months, Raw Score 64/75, Standardised 121
ddNVR) Age 10yrs 6 months, Raw score 52/54, Standardised 137

The scores just don't seem to make sense, how can a raw score of 64/75 carry the same standardised mark as 62/65 ? and 60/65 has a higher standardised mark than 62/65 ? (Am I correct in assuming that all pupils had a high score therefore the standardised marks are lowered) ?

Before I ask the school to remark these, should I be !!!! For our review purposes yes he 121 and above but are aaVR) and bbVR) standardised wrongly and should be higher or are they correct and will ccVR) go down..... which we don't want !

Sorry for ramblings, I hope I'm making sense here :)
Y

Post by Y »

Just quickly, each test is individually standardised, because each test has its own level of difficulty. So it is quite possible for the raw marks you indicate to have a range of standardised scores. Though there's no harm in asking them to check that the raw and standardised marks have been accurately recorded - except, of course, for the danger that errors can be made in either direction!
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

47 guest

Look at this which may help

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many clever people on here who can probably explain better. The point is standardisation aims to provide a benchmark for your child against children of the same age. Given the scores you mention, I would focus on the most recent score....its v. good and I think the link above will give you an idea of what percentile your child was in. However, you do need to be sure how the test was standardised.....school should be able to tell you how this works
47guest

Post by 47guest »

Thanks all,

I've taken the papers into school and the standardised marks are correct (always worth checking !) there is a horizontal age column against vertical mark column which gives you your standardised score. Interestingly on 62/65 (121) if he'd scored 65/65 the standardised score would only be 129 due to age.

We'll be sure to highlight the 137 as this appears to be on the 99th percentile of NFER.
47guest

Post by 47guest »

We now have the Heads assessment.

KS1 - Reading, writing and numeracy were 3c.

Reading Yr 5, 5c, now 5c predicted 5b
Writing Yr 5, 4a, now 4a predicted 5b
Numeracy Yr 5, 5c, now 5b predicted 5a/6

Salford Reading Test Age 10.6+ I queried this as it seems very low as DS is older than 10.6 + but this is the highest mark you can achieve on this test, which is the only test the school sit. Head says the Panel will know this, is it worth mentioning on our summary ?

SWST Spelling Age - 12+ - Does the above apply ?

GL Assessments, 2011 to 2013 -

Head has seen a letter (and ticked the exceptional or extenuating circumstances box) and summarised that DS saw our GP confirming an ongoing ear infection, last treated on 16 August by a UK GP. DS spent the last 4 weeks of the summer holidays on antibiotics. I'm waiting for a letter from the Doctor we saw overseas, where he was prescribed 10 days of antibiotics starting 01 August. It didn't clear up hence we went to our GP once we were home.

Do we include the originals or photocopies of these letters ?

Head's additional information: Is very supportive, opening statement "DS is exceptionally, highly recommended for GS as I believe he will excel and flourish in such a setting". Head then mentions: hardworking, determined, driving himself onwards, self motivated, eager to persevere with challenges and investigations.

Briefly mentions DS is a support reader for younger children, member of library club, head of school charity club (organising bake sales etc).

Concludes:
Based on end of KS1 results DS has achieved 2 levels progress in reading and maths and is on track to exceed 2 levels progress in reading, writing and maths by the end of KS2.

Head said for us to mention Brain Academy, Pen Licence and Maths Challenge Champion.

Thanks all and good luck everyone :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good to hear that the head is trying to be supportive. :)
47guest wrote:Do we include the originals or photocopies of these letters ?
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Head's additional information: Is very supportive, opening statement "DS is exceptionally, highly recommended for GS as I believe he will excel and flourish in such a setting". Head then mentions: hardworking, determined, driving himself onwards, self motivated, eager to persevere with challenges and investigations.
Briefly mentions DS is a support reader for younger children, member of library club, head of school charity club (organising bake sales etc).
Hope this doesn't overshadow any references to ability. See B11(b):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Head said for us to mention Brain Academy, Pen Licence and Maths Challenge Champion.
B11(k):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maths Challenge champion is not a recognised competition; I don't think it's worth mentioning.
47guest

Post by 47guest »

The review has been handed to County.

Thanks for all the advice, now we await 08 February....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now