SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lots of luck - especially that you don't trip up and fall flat on your face - or at least, if you do that they give you sympathy points! Just know that you will have done your very best - as will dh - so no beating each other up over things you forgot to say, have a big glass of wine when it is over and keep everything crossed. ***
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Hope it's goes/has gone well.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Thinking of you too SB3....all the best.

Sona
ahap

Post by ahap »

Good luck.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Fingers crossed - wishing you all the best -
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Everyone,
Sorry in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong place.
Just had stage one for RGS this morning.
There was a good turn out and the head teacher put a good case for why the school could not accept any further pupils.
(classes are already more than 30, they have vacancies for English and maths teachers).
Not surprisingly the panel found in the school’s favour.

I think this may be why the questioning from the parents focused on the selection review process.
There were questions about the academic criteria by which the panel based their decisions, how much time was spent by the panel, whether the communication from admissions was clear prior to selection review and criteria for moderation.
My feeling (and if anyone else who was there can comment) was that questions from parents didn’t lead to probing questions from the panel. In one case the question of having to cross the FCO hurdle following a failed selection review was raised, one of the panel members said it was up to parents to ensure they understand the process or words to that effect.
I know communication from Bucks CC about appeals and admissions has been poor, there were a lot of people in today’s meeting who didn’t know what’s about to happen at stage 2.
Roll on stage 2.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Thank you everyone.

Well we dd it, dh said i could not have done more and answered all questions well. I obviously still think I could have done more. I was always doubtful that we would succeed with a score as low as 114 and remain very doubtful, but at least we tried our best by him.

The stage one went on and on and on, for over 2 hours, so our hearing was pushed forward until after lunch, and was two hours late, we were in for an hour. So basically the day gone.

Won't know for a month, so more waiting!

Good luck fellow appellants, just keep smiling.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

At least it's over now if that's any consolation. You've done everything you could and I'm sure put your case well.

So sorry you've hot to endure more waiting x
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Well no surprise we were not successful.

They found his academic evidence was not of the required academic standard for RGS and his eyesight problems did not account for the 7 points he missed the pass mark by.

My thoughts:

Really wish I had just put in a review, as over 50% of children that scored 114 were deemed qualified at review.

The evidence I provided was as follows:

114 score
124 cat score, lowest of three individual marks 116 for vr
4a, 4a, 5b sats results mock sats October 2013
Optometrist report, showing convergence problems which meant he lost his place reading every eight words, full graph showing this test, plus written evidence that it causes fatigue, concentration loss and sore eyes.
5a, 5b, 5b, 5a mock sats tests results after proper glasses acquired Feb 2014
Key stage one sats, all level 3b
Head Teacher recommendation 2:1
Head Teacher letter, outlining all progress since glasses and before. Gives her "strongest possible level of support"

The bucks la rep queried why there was not a 1:1 if she gave strongest possible support now, I explained this was due to cat score of 124 not 130, and that was prior to new glasses.
I did not know at the time they had a report showing that all her 1:1 recommendations passed and only 1 of her 2:1 passed out of 5, they did not provide me with this or show it to me on the day, as they did for another appeal. Nor did I have the graph showing his mark in relation to class cohort or year cohort.

The chairman also asked why I did not have his sats results for his whole school history, again I did not know that this was provided to review panels by head teachers. My head teacher had not written any reviews, she did not know. She gave a full break down of his sats results in year five and six, I gave him ks 1 results, should they have made clear they wanted year 3 and 4 too, as the review cases gave this info?

Anyway, he is happy to go to the upper, so we have done a good job there. I am not too confident about applying for late entry test to the RGS, as the only three children I know that got in via that route went to a top notch private school that preps year 7 and 8 kids before taking the test, which we cannot afford and the late entry places are given in rank order.

So I am forcing myself to move on.

Thank you all for your brilliant support.

SB 3
Last edited by southbucks3 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Well done for trying SB3, and what a great attitiude.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now