Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 am
Posts: 2
Hi!
We have had the results of the Kent 11+ today and my daughter scored 127 in VR, 121 in NVR and 101 in Maths. It was explained that the maths results were too far from the required 118 for a head teachers appeal but we were urged to submit a parental appeal which the school would fully support on the grounds that they felt AW was a prime candidate for GS. She has always been poor at Maths with exam results showing 112 at best. Apart from nerves +++ there are no extenuating circumstances on the day. However the cohort of children in her class are predominately very disruptive and difficult. The teaching they have received since year R has been debatable due to far too much time spent trying to instill discipline and get bottoms on seats!! Does this count as extenuating circumstances? Should I still appeal without extenuating circumstances? Her Year 6 teacher does feel that she would thrive in GS but would be in the bottom set for maths!!
Thank you for looking at my dilema, wishing the 11+ didn't exist!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
Welcome!

Quote:
Apart from nerves +++ there are no extenuating circumstances on the day. However the cohort of children in her class are predominately very disruptive and difficult. The teaching they have received since year R has been debatable due to far too much time spent trying to instill discipline and get bottoms on seats!! Does this count as extenuating circumstances?
Yes, but keep it brief, because the emphasis ought to be on her academic strengths.

Quote:
Her Year 6 teacher does feel that she would thrive in GS but would be in the bottom set for maths!!
I like to see words such as 'thrive'! :)
See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41

The odds may be against you, but it's worth a try if you have strong support.

Check the following list for academic evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11
Don't forget to include reasons for wanting a place (in case the school is oversubscribed by the time of the appeals):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 am
Posts: 17
Does one appeal now or wait till March 1st? My daughter's scores were 141 verbal, Maths 125 and NVr 116 with an overall total of 382. Minimum is 360 but one needs a minimum of 118 for each paper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 am
Posts: 17
Etienne, thanks for your above link which I have read that appeals are made in March.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 am
Posts: 2
Thank you for your reply! Can I also ask your advice as to the order I should put the schools in at the first stage? Should I put the GS she wants to go to first with a covering explanation of my intention to appeal or is that seen as rather presumptuous!!
Thank you, Kate


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:42 am
Posts: 17
Good luck Kate! Where in Kent are you we are in Tunbridge wells and dd got 121 non verbal, 130 verbal but 117 for maths the head teacher is useless so won't try and appeal for one mark x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 7063
katiew wrote:
Thank you for your reply! Can I also ask your advice as to the order I should put the schools in at the first stage? Should I put the GS she wants to go to first with a covering explanation of my intention to appeal or is that seen as rather presumptuous!!
Not presumptuous at all. If the GS is your first preference, you must list it first.

The golden rule is - put the schools down in your true order of preference.

_________________
Etienne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 am
Posts: 17
I just want to say thank you all for all the appeals information you've taken time to put up under appeals. It's quite a lot over a long period of time, and the advice you've offered to so many parents in the same boat is amazing. Thank you so much. I will definitely go down the appeals route. God bless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Appeal Kent
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 pm
Posts: 514
Npowell999 wrote:
Good luck Kate! Where in Kent are you we are in Tunbridge wells and dd got 121 non verbal, 130 verbal but 117 for maths the head teacher is useless so won't try and appeal for one mark x

You should definitely think about appealing with those marks. You don't have to have HT support, but obviously it does help. You can't appeal till March and who knows perhaps the HT will be more supportive by then?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016